Education and Health Care Transition (EdHCT)
Preparing professionals to empower youth with special health care needs to successfully transition to all aspects of their adult life.
Medical advances have led to 90% of youth with chronic health conditions living to adulthood. Education transition and health care transition are currently separate fields. Professionals in these fields need to work together to support our youth in moving forward. Our fully online certificate program provides the necessary training for this collaboration.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, participants will:
- Describe the rationale for promoting Education and Health Care Transition (EdHCT).
- Analyze and synthesize the literature from the health, education, family, and other perspectives.
- Identify the perspectives, goals, and strategies of EdHCT disciplines, and develop a working knowledge of legal issues and professional cultures.
- Identify evidence-based practices to assist students in managing their health in post-secondary settings, navigate the adult health care system, and self-advocate for their health needs.
- Integrate effective EdHCT practices in educational and health care settings for children and youth with special health care needs and invisible chronic illness.
- Identify potential barriers, along with solutions, to collaboration between the multiple health and educational disciplines.
- Develop implementation strategies in EdHCT.