Fingerprint & Background Check Requirements
The 2004 Florida legislature passed Senate Bill 2986 amending Sections 1012.32 and 1012.56, Florida Statutes. Effective June 10, 2004, all students in educator preparation programs who are engaged in field experiences and who have direct contact with PreK-12 students are required to supply the school district with fingerprints for the purpose of completing a criminal background check. The legislation became effective June 10, 2004. Educator preparation programs at UF include field placements in the Alachua County Schools and other public or non-profit settings with P-12 students. Therefore, to comply with the new legislation, the College of Education and the Alachua County Schools have developed the following requirements. Instructions are included:
If you have been previously fingerprinted by the School Board of Alachua County, please skip down to the last two bulleted items below. However, if you are a current substitute teacher in Alachua County, please bring your Substitute Card to Student Services, G-416 Norman Hall, as proof that you have been fingerprinted by the School Board of Alachua County and disregard all other information below.
||Fingerprinting and Background Check
||To be fingerprinted BY APPOINTMENT ONLYIn Gainesville – Monday-Friday 10:00am–6:00pm; Saturday 10:00am-4:00pm
UPS Store in the Tower Square Shopping Center
5745 SW 75th Street, Gainesville
Out of Gainesville – consult website for list of locations
To pick up results a week later
Monday-Thursday 8:00am-4:00pm, Friday 8:00am-3:30pm
School Board of Alachua County (SBAC) Personnel Office
WEST WING of the Kirby Smith Center
620 East University Avenue, Gainesville
||$52.50 credit card or money order ONLY NO cash accepted
- Go to www.fieldprintflorida.com to make an APPOINTMENT and prepay. Please explore the website’s How it Works, Our Locations, and FAQs links first, then choose the Schedule an Appointment link to get started.
- Set up your account with email, username, and password
- On the page labeled “Reasons why you need to be fingerprinted” click on “I know my Fieldprint Code” (do not click on the dropdown box) and enter the code: FPAlachuaIntern
- Enter your permanent address information and personal attributes as prompted
- For the Attending College or University, from the dropdown list select University of Florida
- If your local address is different from your permanent address, you’ll be prompted to enter that address to find a fingerprinting location and make an appointment. (Zip code will suffice.) Click on “Find” to generate a list of locations. Choose a location and click on “Schedule Appointment” then choose the date and time that’s convenient for you.
- Note: there is a $12 rescheduling fee if you miss your appointment or do not reschedule more than 24 hours ahead of time.
- Enter your credit card or debit card information. You will be provided with a registration number and an appointment time at the end of the transaction.
- Take your IDs and registration number with you to the fingerprinting location you chose.
- Complete the fingerprinting process (electronic fingerprints, no inky smudging).
- Background check/clearance will take approximately 3-5 business days. Call 955-7715 and speak to Lori Hanson to confirm that your background clearance is back. You must bring a photo ID to pick up the printout of your background clearance and then bring the background clearance to the Office of Student Services, G-416 Norman Hall.
- Fingerprint results that indicate criminal history may require you to provide arrest or court documents to the school district before a clearance can be determined. The College of Education’s Office of Student Services will contact you if further information is needed.
Alachua County Substitute Teachers: If you are a current substitute teacher in Alachua County, please bring your Substitute Card to the COE Office of Student Services in G416, as proof that you have been fingerprinted by the School Board of Alachua County.
Proteach Students: Prior to beginning the Proteach teacher preparation program (elementary or secondary), the level 2 screening with fingerprinting described above must be completed.