PO Box 117049
Gainesville, FL 32611
In my empirical work, I use both Mandarin Chinese and English to perform research in the United States, China, and the cross-Pacific transnational context. I am particularly interested in children’s and youth’s identity formation—the gendered and racialized process of socialization, and the various dynamics within and beyond families and communities in perpetuating and/or disrupting the reproduction of social inequality.
- School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education
- University of Florida- School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education
Action Research, Data Collection and Analysis, Digital Tools in Qualitative Research, Gender Issues, Knowledge and Theory, Language, Narrative Inquiry, Philosophy of Education, Qualitative Research, Research Design, Social Justice in Education, Sociocultural Perspectives, Theoretical Perspectives
- Ph.D. in Inquiry Methodology, 2017 Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- M.A. in Literary Theory, 2009 Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
- B.A. in Chinese Language and Literature, 2006 Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
- Assistant Professor, Research and Evaluation Methodology Program, University of Florida, 2019 - present
- Instructor & Research Consultant, Inquiry Methodology Program, Indiana University Bloomington, 2017 - 2019
- Associate Instructor, Inquiry Methodology Program, Indiana University Bloomington, 2011 - 2017
Activities and Honors
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2021
- Illinois Qualitative Distinguished Dissertation Award (Traditional Category), International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, the U.S.A., 2019
- International Institute for Qualitative Methodology PhD Dissertation Award, International Institute for Qualitative Methodology $2,000 CAD, Canada, 2017
- Trentham Travel Award (twice), Indiana University ($300 each), 2013 and 2014
Changing Fate: The Cultural Revolution's Rural Youth in Transition to Post-Mao China
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship
How Do I Talk With My Kids About the "Chinese Virus"? Racialized Trauma, Youth Activism, and Transnational Chinese Families in the U.S.
- University of Florida, College of Education Research Incentive Fund
COVID-19: Baseline Data Collection and Planning
- Gates Foundation
COVID-19 Florida Research to Capture District Responses
- Gates Foundation
Regulating Research Ethics in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
- University of Florida, International Center Global Fellow Program
- Zhao, P., D. Palmer, S. Silberstein, A. Elfreich, S. Bose, S. Washington, P. Saxena, L. Carspecken, & B. K. Dennis (2022). You Are My Way to the Universe: Critical Collective Research and Feminist Community Building. Forum: Qualitative Social Research. 23(3). https://doi.org/10.17169/fqs-23.3.3892.
- Zhao, P. & Silberstein, S. * (online first). “Not waves but ripples: Re-worlding & counter-worlding of intergenerational feminism.” International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education.
- B. Dennis & Zhao, P.* (online first). “Storyworlding: An outline of the philosophic and methodological commitments of a new feminist methodology.” International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education.
- Zhao, P. (2021). “Minor Feelings in the Wake of the Atlanta Attack: How a Mom of Asian Descent Spent the First 100 Hours in the Aftermath.” Cultural Studies ↔ Critical Methodologies. 21(4):351-354. doi:10.1177/15327086211019954
- Zhao, P. (2020). “Working the Hyphens in an Authoritarian State: Adding the State Back to the Conversation.” International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. 1-14. DOI: 10.1080/09518398.2020.1828642
- Zhao, P., L. Yang, Z. Sa, & X. Wang. (2020). “Propriety, Empowerment and Compromises: Challenges in Addressing Gender among Sex Educators in China.” Sex Education: Sexuality, Society and Learning, 20(5), 552-567. DOI: 10.1080/14681811.2019.1705779
- Ross, K., B. K. Dennis, P. Zhao, & P. Li. (2017). “Exploring Graduate Students’ Conceptions of Research: Links Between Identity, Validity, and Research Conceptions.” International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 29(1), 73-86.
- Zhao, P., P. Li, K. Ross, & B. K. Dennis. (2016). “Methodological Tool or Methodology? Beyond Instrumentality and Efficiency with Qualitative Data Analysis Software.” Forum: Qualitative Social Research. Access from: http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs1602160
Books / Book Chapters
- Zhao, P., K. Ross, P. Li, & B. K. Dennis.* (2021). Making Sense of Social Research Methodology: A Student- and Practitioner-Centered Approach. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Zhao, P. (in progress). Changing Fate: The Cultural Revolution’s Rural Youth in Transition to Post-Mao China.
- Dennis, B. K., P. Li, K. Ross & P. Zhao* (2020). “Pedagogy as a form of praxis and commitment: A student-centered approach to teaching research methodology”. In T. S. Jenkins (ed.) Reshaping Graduate Education Through Innovation and Experiential Learning. 1-22. IGI Global.
- Li, P., K. Ross, P. Zhao & B. K. Dennis (2017). “Critical Action Research: How do Graduate Students in an Introductory Research Class Conceptualize ‘Research’?” In SAGE Research Methods Cases. Access from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781473989115
- Research Report ) Zhao, P., Poekert, P., Cugini, S., Jones, A., Schroeder, C., & Cavanaugh, C. (2020). These Are Their Stories: Challenges, Successes, and Lessons Learned From Florida Education Stakeholders’ Experience of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Gainesville, Florida: University of Florida Lastinger Center for Learning.
- Book Review) Zhao, P. (2017). Review of K. Bischoping & A. Gazso, Analyzing Talk in the Social Sciences: Narrative, Conversation & Discourse Strategies. Canadian Journal of Sociology, 42 (3), 373-375.