Research Scientist and Chief Technology Officer
PO Box 117052
Gainesville, FL 32611
The core of my research is understanding contexts and conditions for effective online, blended, and digital learning environments. My specific interests include virtual schooling, collaborative learning environments, and professional and leadership development in K-12 online programs.
- Lastinger Center for Learning
Action Research, Educational / Instructional Design, Middle School / Jr. High, Online and Distance Education, Professional Development, Systematic Review Methods and Meta-analysis
- Ph.D. - University of South Florida. 1998. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.Ed. - University of Central Florida. 1988. Science Education
- B.A. - University of the Virgin Islands. 1984. Elementary Education
- Research Scientist and Chief Technology Officer, University of Florida, 2020-Present
- Principal Program Manager for Education Analytics and Professional Development, Microsoft, 2018-2020
- Head of Digital Transformation, Catholic Education Western Australia, 2016-2018
- Director of Teaching and Learning, Microsoft, 2013-2018
- Associate Director, Higher Colleges of Technology, United Arab Emirates, 2011-2013
- Associate Professor, University of Florida, 2007-2011
Activities and Honors
- International Society for Technology and Learning Making IT Happen award, 2016
- Outstanding Customer Focus award, Microsoft Corporation, 2015
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, 2010-2011
- Reviewer for Journal of Online Learning Research
- Reviewer for International Review of Research in Online and Distance Learning
- Reviewer for International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education
- Reviewer for Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia
- Reviewer for Journal of Distance Education
The Florida Digital Educator Program: Research and Evaluation of the Title II-D Competitive Enhancing Education through Technology Funds
Online Medical Education Degree (OnMED): Andragogic Skills for 21st Century Clinical Medical Educators
- Florida Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE)
Exploring science content: Digital strategies for science teaching and learning
- Florida Department of Education, Math/ Science Partnership Grants
- July 2007- August 2008
- Rogers-Estable, M., Cavanaugh, C., Simonson, M., Finucane, T., & McIntosh, A. (2018). Virtual learning design and delivery. Lumen Learning.
- Cavanaugh, C. (2019). A quality digitally enhanced learning environment. In T. McDonald (Ed.), Classroom management. Oxford University Press. https://www.oup.com.au/books/higher-education/education/9780190303853-classroom-management
- Cavanaugh, C., & Hargis, J. (2018). Mobile learning transformation in a national higher education system. In H. Crompton & J. Traxler (Eds.), Mobile learning and higher education: Case studies in practice. Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/Mobile-Learning-and-Higher-Education-Challenges-in-Context/Crompton-Traxler/p/book/9781138238770
- Cavanaugh, C., Maor, D., & McCarthy, A. (2018). Mobile learning. In K. Kennedy & R. E. Ferdig (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (2nd ed., pp. 574-591). ETC Press.
- Ferdig, R., Cavanaugh, C., & Freidhoff, J. (2015). Research into K-12 online learning. In T. Clark & M. Barbour (Eds.), Online and distance education in schools: Global perspectives on policy and practice. Stylus.
- Cavanaugh, C., & DeWeese, A. (2020). Understanding the professional learning and support needs of educators during the initial weeks of pandemic school closures through search terms and content use. Journal of Technology in Teacher Education 28(2). https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/216073/
- Cavanaugh, C., & Roe, M. (2019). Developing pedagogy and course design skills in novice virtual school teachers. Journal of Online Learning Research 5(1) 5-22. https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/182244/
- Cavanaugh, C., Mayberry, J., & Hargis, J. (2016). Participation in the virtual environment of blended college courses: An activity study of student performance. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 17(3). http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/1811
- Cavanaugh, C., Sessums, C., & Drexler, W. (2015). A call to action for research in digital learning: Learning without limits of time, place, path, pace…or evidence. Journal of Online Learning Research 1(1) 9-15. https://www.learntechlib.org/p/149851
- Cavanaugh, C., Gajer, E., O'Connor, B., & Hargis, J. (2015). Kilimanjaro: A case of meaningful adventure and service learning abroad. Journal of International Students, 5(4), 420-433.