Professor of Educational Practice
PO Box 117040
Gainesville, FL 32611
Dr. Catherine G. Atria, Professor of Educational Practice, teaches in and coordinates the online MEd program for aspiring school principals. Dr. Atria began her career in education as a classroom teacher at the middle and high school levels teaching social studies and science and mentoring pre-service and beginning teachers. She earned National Board Certification in Early Adolescent Science. She has served as a K-12 principal and in a variety of administrative roles at the school and district levels addressing teacher mentoring, observation and evaluation, program development, and personnel management. She has worked extensively with principals and teacher leaders on instructional coaching. Her research interests focus on the use of targeted feedback cycles in teacher observation; instructional coaching; social justice in education; and the role of the principal. Finally, Dr. Atria has served on many State of Florida committees and task forces addressing leadership development.
- School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education
- Education Policy Research Center
Leadership Development, Mentoring, Principals / Assistant Principals, Social Justice in Education, Teacher Leadership
- Ph.D. in Educational and Administration, 2008 University of Florida
- M.Ed. in Educational Leadership and Administration, 2003 University of Florida
- B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences,1992 University of Florida
- Professor of Educational Practice, University of Florida, 2018 - present
- Principal-in-Residence, University of Florida, 2017 - 2018
- Principal and Assistant University School Professor, University of Florida, P.K. Yonge Developmental Research School, 2012 - 2017
Activities and Honors
- Leadership Development Committee, Alachua County Public Schools - Gainesville, Florida
- ESSA Leadership Learning Community (ELLC) Workgroup - Wallace Foundation and Florida Department of Education
- Florida Department of Education Level 2 School Principal Assessment – Holistic Scoring - Materials Development
- Florida Department of Education School Educational Leadership Enhancement Committee Task Force Steering Committee
- Florida Department of Education Florida Principal Leadership Standards Review Committee
- Collective for Black Lives: Subcommittee on Curricular Opportunities - College of Education - University of Florida
- Level 2 Principal Certification Advisory Panel - Marion County Public Schools
- Special Council on Equity, Equality, and Justice, Work Group 5: Long-term Cultural and Systemic Impact - Leadership Florida
- Program Coordinator, MEd and EdS programs in Educational Leadership, University of Florida, College of Education
Books / Book Chapters
- Yeager Washington, E., Atria, C.G. & Marlowe, J. (2020). The difficult history of Newberry, Florida: The Newberry 6 in Teaching Difficult Histories: Pictures of Practice, eds. Harris, L.M., Sheppard, M., & Levy, S. Teachers College Press, New York, N.Y.
- Atria, C.G. (2022). A shared vision. Impact Florida, Tallahassee, Florida; Lastinger Center for Learning, Gainesville, Florida & Education Policy Research Center, Gainesville, Florida.
- Redding, C. & Atria, C.G. (2022). Empowered leaders. Impact Florida, Tallahassee, Florida; Lastinger Center for Learning, Gainesville, Florida & Education Policy Research Center, Gainesville, Florida.
- Atria, C.G. (2020). What should we think about as schools prepare to open? Gainesville Sun, Gainesville, Florida.
- Espelage, D.L.; El-Sheikh, A.; Robinson, L.E.; Valido, A.; Ingram, K.M., Aksoy, C.T.; Atria, C.G.; Salama, C.D.; Chalfant, P.K.; Poekert, P.E., & Nicholson, A.M. (2020). Development of online professional development for school resource officers: Understanding trauma, social-emotional learning, restorative discipline, and cultural diversity. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, Switzerland.
- Espelage, D.L., Valido, A., Robinson, L.E., El Sheikh, A., Ingram, K.M., Torgal, C.A., Atria, C.G., Chalfant, P.K., Nicholson, A.M., Poekert, P., & Salama, C.D. (2020). Pilot evaluation of K-12 school security professionals online training: Understanding trauma and social-emotional learning. School Mental Health.
- Atria, C.G. (2019). Improving our nation’s schools: One principal at a time. The Florida Edugator; January 2019.
- Atria, C.G. (2022). A shared vision. Impact Florida Summit; Orlando, Florida; April 2022.
- Redding, C. & Atria, C.G. (2022). Empowered leaders. Impact Florida Summit; Orlando, Florida; April 2022.
- Atria, C.G. & Marlowe, J. (2022). Confronting the difficult history of racial violence. FfPL Symposium; Dubin, Ireland; June 2022.
- Atria, C.G.; Washington, E.; Rehm, J.; Marlowe, J. (2021). The Newberry lynchings: Incorporating local history into a unit on racial violence. NCSS Annual Conference; November 15-21, 2021.
- Atria, C.G.; Washington, E.; Rehm, J.; Marlowe, J.; Morey, J. & Pearl, C. (2021). Alachua County Public Schools: Integrating local history into the curriculum. Commissioner of Education’s African American History Task Force 2021 Virtual Summer Institute.
- Atria, C.G.; Burns, P.O.; Reyes-Guerra, D.; White, M.; Stewart, A.; & McDaniel, J. (2020). Listening and learning. Northeast Florida Educational Consortium Listening Tour.
- Atria, C.G.; Burns, P.O.; Reyes-Guerra, D.; White, M.; Stewart, A.; & McDaniel, J. (2020). Listening and learning. Heartland Educational Consortium Listening Tour.
- Atria, C.G. & Burns, P.O. (2019). School leader residency programs: The first step in the establishment of a leadership pipeline. Leadership for Professional Learning Symposium; University of Cambridge and the Lastinger Center at the University of Florida; Cambridge, UK.
- Atria, C.G. (2018). Systems leadership and the FELE. FAPEL Fall Conference; University of Central; Florida, Orlando, FL.