PO Box : 117048
Gainesville, FL 32611
- School of Teaching and Learning
- Institute for Advanced Learning Technologies
At Risk and Related Issues, Data Collection and Analysis, Inclusion, Intervention, Mentoring, Middle School / Jr. High, Mild and Moderate Disabilities, Mixed Methods, Primary / Elementary, Professional Development, Qualitative Research, Quantitative Research, Technology Trends and Issues, Universal Design for Learning
- Ph.D. in Special Education, 2009 University of Kansas
- M.S.Ed. in Special Education, 2004 University of Kansas
- B.A. in Elementary Education, 2001 Ottawa University
- Associate Professor, Department of Educational Technology, School of Teaching and Learning, University of Florida, 2018 - Present
- Associate Professor, Department of Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2017 - 2018
- Affiliate Appointment, Digital Environments for Learning, Teaching, and Agency (DELTA), University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2015 - 2018
- Assistant Professor, Department of Special Education, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2012 - 2017
Learning Trajectories for Everyday Computing: Integrating Computational Thinking and Elementary Mathematics
- National Science Foundation, STEM +Computing Partnerships (STEM+C)
- 2018 - 2020
CS for All: Engaging struggling learners in computer science instruction
- National Science Foundation, STEM +Computing Partnerships (STEM+C), Track 2
- 2016 - 2019
Learning trajectories for Everyday Computing (LTEC)
- National Science Foundation, STEM +Computing Partnerships (STEM+C), Track 1
- 2016 - 2018
Books / Book Chapters
- Billingsley, B. B., Brownell, M., Israel, M., & Kamman, M. (2013). The Beginning Special Education Teacher's Survival Guide. Jossey-Bass.
- Israel, M. (2019). Using assistive and instructional technologies. In J. McLuskey, L, Maheady, B. Billingsley, M. Brownell, & T. Lewis (Eds.) High Leverage Practices for Inclusive Classrooms. Routledge Publishing.
- Israel, M., Shehab, S., & Wherfel, Q. (2018). Increasing science learning and engagement for academically diverse students through scaffolded scientific inquiry and Universal Design for Learning. In M. Koomen, S. Kahn, C. Atchinson, & T. Wild (Eds.). Towards inclusion of all learners in science teacher education (pp. 201-211). Sense Publishing.
- National Framework Writing team including Israel, M. (2017). The role of research in the development and future of the Framework in K-12 Computer Science Framework, led by the Association of Computing Machinery, Code.org, Computer Science Teachers Association, Cyber Innovation Center, and National Math and Science Initiative. Retrieved from http://www.k12cs.org.
- Writing team including Israel, M. (2017). Practices including Computational Thinking in K-12 Computer Science Framework, led by the Association of Computing Machinery, Code.org, Computer Science Teachers Association, Cyber Innovation Center, and National Math and Science Initiative. Retrieved from http://www.k12cs.org.
- Israel, M., Ray, M. J., Maa, W. C., Jeong, G., Lee, C., Lash, T., & Do, V. (2018). School embedded and district-wide instructional coaching in K-8 computer science: Implications for including students with disabilities. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 26(3), 471-501.
- Ray, M., Israel, M., Lee, C., & Do, V. (2018). A cross-case analysis of instructional strategies to support participation of K-8 students with disabilities in CS for All. Proceedings of the 49th Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (900-905). ACM.
- Israel, M., Shehab, S., Wherfel, Q., Melvin, O., & Lash, T. (2017). Describing elementary students' interactions in K-5 puzzle-based computer science environments using the Collaborative Computing Observation Instrument (C-COI). In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research (pp. 110-117). ACM.
- Israel, M., & Ray, M. (2017). Practical strategies for including students with learning and cognitive disabilities in K-8 computer science, CSTA Voice, 13(3), 6-7.
- Israel, M. Wherfel, Q., Shehab, S., Ramos, E., Metzger, A., & Reese, G. (2016). Assessing collaborative computing: Development of the Collaborative-Computing Observation Instrument (C-COI). Computer Science Education, 26(2-3), 208-233.