PO Box 117048
Gainesville, FL 32611
Prior to coming to UF, she taught high school in the St. Louis, Missouri area and subsequently worked at Missouri State University where she coordinated the English Education program and provided professional development to practicing teachers on the teaching of writing. Her research has appeared in the Reading Research Quarterly, the Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, English Education, and Linguistics and Education.
- School of Teaching and Learning
Adolescent Literacy, Critical Literacy, Digital Literacy, English Education, Information Literacy, Media Literacy, Middle School / Jr. High, Multiliteracies, Professional Development, Qualitative Research, Secondary / High School Transition, Writing
- Ph.D. University of Missouri-St. Louis, Education/Teaching and Learning Processes (English Education)M.Ed. University of Missouri-St. Louis, Secondary Education (English Education)B.A. Washington University, English and American Literature
- Assistant Professor, University of Florida, School of Teaching and Learning, 2015-present
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator of English Education, Missouri State University, Department of English, 2012-2015
Activities and Honors
- B.O. Smith Research Professorship, 2019-2021
- Diane E. Haines Award for Teaching Excellence, 2018
Teaching Students to Become Expert Information Seekers
- School of Teaching and Learning IDC Funds, College of Education, University of Florida
Future English Teachers' Concepts of Writing and Writing Instruction
- College Research Incentive Fund, College of Education, University of Florida
- Kohnen, A.M., & Saul, W. (in press). Thinking like a generalist: Strategies for a complex world. Portsmouth, NH: Stenhouse Publishers. (winter 2020)
- Lacy, A., & Kohnen, A. M. (in press). 'Why can't they test us on this?': Transforming intensive reading instruction. In J. Dyches, B. Sams, & A. Boyd (Eds.), Acts of resistance: Subversive teaching in the ELA context. Gorham, ME: Myers Education Press.
- Polman, J. L., Kohnen, A. M., Whitacre, M., Gebre, E., & Davidson, R. (2017). Teachers adapting curricular designs through work with students over time. In C. DiSalvo, E. Bonsignore, J. Yip, & B. DiSalvo (Eds.), Participatory design for learning (pp. 59-70). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Kohnen, A. M., Saul, E. W., & Singer, N. (2016). Developing support for teachers and students in secondary science classrooms through writing criteria. In S. Plane, C. Bazerman, F. Rondelli, C. Donahue, A. N. Applebee, C. Bore, P. Carlino, M. Marquillo Larruy, P. Rogers, & D. Russell (Eds.), Recherches en écritures: Regards pluriels (Writing research from multiple perspectives) (pp. 211-232). Lorraine, France: Centre de Recherche sur les Médiations.
- Saul, E. W., Newman, A., & Kohnen, A. (2014). STEM literacy through science journalism: Driving and communicating along the information highway. In R. E. Yager & H. Brunkhorst (Eds.), Exemplary STEM programs: Designs for success (pp. 143-161). Arlington, VA: NSTA Press.
- Kohnen, A. M. (2019). Becoming a teacher of writing: An analysis of the identity resources offered to preservice teachers across contexts. English Education, 51(4), 348-375.
- Kohnen, A. M. (2019). Teaching online research as a critical literacy skill. English Journal, 108(5), 25-30.
- Kohnen, A. M., & Mertens, G.M. (2019). 'I'm always kind of double-checking': Exploring the information-seeking identities of expert generalists. Reading Research Quarterly, 54(3), 279-298. doi:10.1002/rrq.245
- Kohnen, A. M., & Lacy, A. (2018). 'They don't see us otherwise': A discourse analysis of marginalized students critiquing the local news. Linguistics and Education, 46, 102-112.
- Kohnen, A. M., & Saul, E. W. (2018). Literacy instruction for life online. Phi Delta Kappan, 99(6), 33-38.