M. David Miller
Professor, Research and Evaluation Methodology, Director, Collaborative Assessment and Program Evaluation Services (CAPES)
PO Box 117049
121Gainesville, Florida 32611
Dr. Miller has been engaged in research in assessment and evaluation. His primary focus is on assessment in large-scale applications and the psychometric properties of the assessments. He has studied validity, reliability, DIF, and other psychometric methods. He has also examined the use of assessments in education from early childhood to higher education. He is the Director of the Collaborative Assessment and Program Evaluation Services (CAPES) which is engaged in evaluations on multiple grants with social science components including grants through NSF, NIH, and IES.
- School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education
- Education Policy Research Center
Assessment and Evaluation, Data Collection and Analysis, Educational Assessment and Measurement, International Education, Methodological Research, Quantitative Research, Research / Program Evaluation, Research Design, Statistics / Applied Stats
- Ph.D. 1981, University of California, Los Angeles - Major: Educational Research Methods and Evaluation
- M.A. 1978, University of California, Los Angeles - Major: Educational Research Methods and Evaluation
- B.A. 1977, University of California, Los Angeles - Majors: Mathematics and Psychology
- Director, School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education (2015-present)
- Director, Collaborative Assessment and Program Evaluation Services (2009-present)
- Director, University of Florida Quality Enhancement Plan (2011-2014)
- Department Chairperson, Educational Psychology, University of Florida (1998-2005)
- Faculty, University of Florida (1987- present)
- Research Associate, Center for Educational Testing and Evaluation, University of Kansas (directing Kansas K-12 assessment program) (1984-1987)
- Data Analyst, Second International Mathematics Study, University of Illinois (1982-1984)
Activities and Honors
- Scholarship of Engagement, College of Education, University of Florida, 2010.
- Distinguished Reviewer, Buros Institute, 2008
- American Psychological Association (Division 16) School Psychology Quarterly Article of the Year Award, 1999, for Kranzler, Miller, and Jordan (1999).
- American Pharmaceutical Association Best Published Paper Award for Economic, Social and Administrative Sciences, 1999, for Obedina, Hepler, Segal, & Miller (1997).
- University of Florida Research Foundation Professor, 1997.
- University of Florida Teaching Improvement Program Award, 1995.
- University of Florida Superior Accomplishment Award, 1990.
GatorSTAR: A New MARC U*STAR Program at the University of Florida
- National Institutes of Health
SF2UF Bridge to the Baccalaureate Program
- National Institutes of Health
Post-Doctoral Research Training Fellowships in Early Intervention and Early Learning in Special Education at the University of Florida
- Institute of Education Sciences
Evaluation of Florida Charter Schools
- Florida Department of Education
Evaluation of Teacher Incentive Fund
- Duval Public Schools
New Town Success Zone
- Jacksonville Children's Commission
Jacksonville Children's Commission Evaluation
- Jacksonville Children's Commission
Establishment of Evaluation Center (CAPES)
- University of Florida, Division of Sponsored Research
- Cumming, T., & Miller, M. D. (Eds.). (2017). Educational assessment in higher education: Theory and applications. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Miller, M. D., Linn, R. L., & Gronlund, N.E. (2013). Measurement and assessment in teaching (11th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Gao, M., Miller, M. D., & Liu, R. (in press). The impact of Q-matrix misspecification and model misuse on classification accuracy in the generalized DINA model. Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology.
- Douglas, E. P., Miller, M. D., Koro-Ljungberg, M., Wells, T., Raymond, T., Waters, C., & Hughes, W. L. (in press). Guided inquiry learning across educational contexts. International Journal of Engineering Education.
- Hu, J., Miller, M. D., Huggins, A. C., & Chen, Y. (2016). Evaluation of model fit in cognitive diagnosis modeling. International Journal of Testing, 16(2), 119-141.
- Alber, J. M., Bernhardt, J. M., Stellefson, M. Weiler, R. M., Anderson-Lewis, C., Miller, M. D., & MacInnes, J. (2015). Designing and testing an inventory for measuring social media competency of certified health education specialists. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(9), e221.
- Miller, D. (2016). Reliability and validity methods in assessing the effectiveness of music education. In T. S. Brophy, J. Marlatt, & G. K. Ritcher (Eds.), Connecting practice, measurement, and evaluation: Selected papers from the 5th International Symposium on Assessment in Music Education, (pp. 305-314). Chicago, IL: GIA.
- Kaya, Y., Leite, W. L., & Miller, M. D. (2015). A comparison of logistic regression models for DIF detection in polytomous items: The effect of small sample sizes and non-normality of ability distributions. International Journal of Assessment Tools in Education, 2(1), 22-39.
- Varnes, J. R., Stellefson, M. L., Miller, M. D., Janelle, C. M., Dodd, V., & Pigg, R. M. (2015). Body esteem and self-objectification among collegiate female athletes: Does societal objectification make a difference? Psychology of Women Quarterly, 39(1), 95-108.
- Wood, D., Sawicki, G. S., Miller, M. D., Smotherman, C. Lukens-Bull, K., Livingood, W. C., Ferris, M., & Kraemer, D. F. (2014). Factor structure, reliability and validity of the Transition Readiness Assessment Questionnaire (TRAQ). Academic Pediatrics, 14(4), 415-422.
- Barnes, T. N., Smith, S. W., & Miller, M. D. (2014). School-based cognitive-behavioral interventions in the treatment of aggression: A meta-analysis aggression and violent behavior. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 19(4), 311-321.
- Douglas, E. P., Koro-Ljungberg, M., Miller, M. D., Hughes, W., Raymond, T., & Waters, C. (2014). Use of process oriented guided inquiry learning for introduction to materials. Proceedings of the annual meeting of the American Society of Engineering Education.
- Snyder, P. A., Hemmeter, M. L., Fox, L. Bishop, C. C., & Miller, M. D. (2013). Developing and gathering psychometric evidence for a fidelity instrument: The teaching pyramid observation tool-pilot version. Journal of Early Intervention, 35(2), 150-172.
- Varnes, J. R., Stellefson, M. L., Janelle, C. M., Dorman, S. M., Dodd, V., & Miller, M. D. (2013). A systematic review of studies comparing body image concerns among female college athletes and non-athletes, 1997-2012. Body Image, 10(4), 421-432.
- Brubaker, M. D., Garrett, M. T., Amatea, E. A., Rivera, E. T., Miller, M. D., & Nabors, L. (2013). Barriers and supports to substance abuse service utilization among homeless adults. Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling, 34(2), 81-98.
- Tate, K. A., Torres Rivera, E., Conwill, W. L., Miller, M. D., & Puig, A. (2013). Conceptualizing group dynamics from our clients' perspective: Development of the Conceptualization of Group Dynamics Inventory. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 38(2), 146-168.
- Schelble, J. L., Therriault, D. J., & Miller, M. D. (2012). Classifying retrieval strategies as a function of working memory. Memory and Cognition, 40(2), 218-230.