M. David Miller
Professor, Research and Evaluation Methodology, Director, Collaborative Assessment and Program Evaluation Services (CAPES)
PO Box 117049
121Gainesville, Florida 32611
- School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education
- Education Policy Research Center
Assessment and Evaluation, Data Collection and Analysis, Educational Assessment and Measurement, International Education, Methodological Research, Quantitative Research, Research / Program Evaluation, Research Design, Statistics / Applied Stats
- Ph.D. 1981, University of California, Los Angeles - Major: Educational Research Methods and Evaluation
- M.A. 1978, University of California, Los Angeles - Major: Educational Research Methods and Evaluation
- B.A. 1977, University of California, Los Angeles - Majors: Mathematics and Psychology
- Director, School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education (2015-present)
- Director, Collaborative Assessment and Program Evaluation Services (2009-present)
- Director, University of Florida Quality Enhancement Plan (2011-2014)
- Department Chairperson, Educational Psychology, University of Florida (1998-2005)
- Faculty, University of Florida (1987- present)
- Research Associate, Center for Educational Testing and Evaluation, University of Kansas (directing Kansas K-12 assessment program) (1984-1987)
- Data Analyst, Second International Mathematics Study, University of Illinois (1982-1984)
Activities and Honors
- Scholarship of Engagement, College of Education, University of Florida, 2010.
- Distinguished Reviewer, Buros Institute, 2008
- American Psychological Association (Division 16) School Psychology Quarterly Article of the Year Award, 1999, for Kranzler, Miller, and Jordan (1999).
- American Pharmaceutical Association Best Published Paper Award for Economic, Social and Administrative Sciences, 1999, for Obedina, Hepler, Segal, & Miller (1997).
- University of Florida Research Foundation Professor, 1997.
- University of Florida Teaching Improvement Program Award, 1995.
- University of Florida Superior Accomplishment Award, 1990.
GatorSTAR: A New MARC U*STAR Program at the University of Florida
- National Institutes of Health
SF2UF Bridge to the Baccalaureate Program
- National Institutes of Health
Post-Doctoral Research Training Fellowships in Early Intervention and Early Learning in Special Education at the University of Florida
- Institute of Education Sciences
Evaluation of Florida Charter Schools
- Florida Department of Education
Evaluation of Teacher Incentive Fund
- Duval Public Schools
New Town Success Zone
- Jacksonville Children's Commission
Jacksonville Children's Commission Evaluation
- Jacksonville Children's Commission
Establishment of Evaluation Center (CAPES)
- University of Florida, Division of Sponsored Research
- Cumming, T., & Miller, M. D. (Eds.). (2017). Educational assessment in higher education: Theory and applications. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Miller, M. D., Linn, R. L., & Gronlund, N.E. (2013). Measurement and assessment in teaching (11th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Gao, M., Miller, M. D., & Liu, R. (in press). The impact of Q-matrix misspecification and model misuse on classification accuracy in the generalized DINA model. Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology.
- Douglas, E. P., Miller, M. D., Koro-Ljungberg, M., Wells, T., Raymond, T., Waters, C., & Hughes, W. L. (in press). Guided inquiry learning across educational contexts. International Journal of Engineering Education.
- Hu, J., Miller, M. D., Huggins, A. C., & Chen, Y. (2016). Evaluation of model fit in cognitive diagnosis modeling. International Journal of Testing, 16(2), 119-141.
- Alber, J. M., Bernhardt, J. M., Stellefson, M. Weiler, R. M., Anderson-Lewis, C., Miller, M. D., & MacInnes, J. (2015). Designing and testing an inventory for measuring social media competency of certified health education specialists. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(9), e221.
- Miller, D. (2016). Reliability and validity methods in assessing the effectiveness of music education. In T. S. Brophy, J. Marlatt, & G. K. Ritcher (Eds.), Connecting practice, measurement, and evaluation: Selected papers from the 5th International Symposium on Assessment in Music Education, (pp. 305-314). Chicago, IL: GIA.
- Kaya, Y., Leite, W. L., & Miller, M. D. (2015). A comparison of logistic regression models for DIF detection in polytomous items: The effect of small sample sizes and non-normality of ability distributions. International Journal of Assessment Tools in Education, 2(1), 22-39.
- Varnes, J. R., Stellefson, M. L., Miller, M. D., Janelle, C. M., Dodd, V., & Pigg, R. M. (2015). Body esteem and self-objectification among collegiate female athletes: Does societal objectification make a difference? Psychology of Women Quarterly, 39(1), 95-108.
- Wood, D., Sawicki, G. S., Miller, M. D., Smotherman, C. Lukens-Bull, K., Livingood, W. C., Ferris, M., & Kraemer, D. F. (2014). Factor structure, reliability and validity of the Transition Readiness Assessment Questionnaire (TRAQ). Academic Pediatrics, 14(4), 415-422.
- Barnes, T. N., Smith, S. W., & Miller, M. D. (2014). School-based cognitive-behavioral interventions in the treatment of aggression: A meta-analysis aggression and violent behavior. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 19(4), 311-321.
- Douglas, E. P., Koro-Ljungberg, M., Miller, M. D., Hughes, W., Raymond, T., & Waters, C. (2014). Use of process oriented guided inquiry learning for introduction to materials. Proceedings of the annual meeting of the American Society of Engineering Education.
- Snyder, P. A., Hemmeter, M. L., Fox, L. Bishop, C. C., & Miller, M. D. (2013). Developing and gathering psychometric evidence for a fidelity instrument: The teaching pyramid observation tool-pilot version. Journal of Early Intervention, 35(2), 150-172.
- Varnes, J. R., Stellefson, M. L., Janelle, C. M., Dorman, S. M., Dodd, V., & Miller, M. D. (2013). A systematic review of studies comparing body image concerns among female college athletes and non-athletes, 1997-2012. Body Image, 10(4), 421-432.
- Brubaker, M. D., Garrett, M. T., Amatea, E. A., Rivera, E. T., Miller, M. D., & Nabors, L. (2013). Barriers and supports to substance abuse service utilization among homeless adults. Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling, 34(2), 81-98.
- Tate, K. A., Torres Rivera, E., Conwill, W. L., Miller, M. D., & Puig, A. (2013). Conceptualizing group dynamics from our clients' perspective: Development of the Conceptualization of Group Dynamics Inventory. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 38(2), 146-168.
- Schelble, J. L., Therriault, D. J., & Miller, M. D. (2012). Classifying retrieval strategies as a function of working memory. Memory and Cognition, 40(2), 218-230.