PO Box 117040
Gainesville, FL 32611
- School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education
Complementary Therapies, Creativity, Group Counseling, Health / Allied Health, Individual Mental Health, Multicultural Competencies, Qualitative Research, Race / Ethnicity Issues, Spirituality and Religion
- Ph.D. Mental Health Counseling and Counselor Education University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Department of Counselor Education (CACREP Accredited) December 2004
- M.A. Mental Health Counseling University of South Florida, Tampa, FL Department of Counselor Education December 1992
- B.A. Sociology (French Minor) University of (Southwestern) Louisiana, Lafayette LA May 1985
- Scholar and Research Director, Office of Educational Research, College of Education, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2015-Present
- Associate Scholar and Research Director, Office of Educational Research, College of Education, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2010-2015
- Assistant Scholar and Research Director, Office of Educational Research, College of Education, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2006-2010
- Affiliate Faculty, School of Human Development and Organizational Studies in Education, Counseling and Counselor Education, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2005-Present
Activities and Honors
- American Counseling Association Fellow, 2020
- Special Issue: International Perspectives on Group Work: Practice, Teaching, and Research & Cultural Adaptations of Group Leadership, Research and Practices. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, Editor-in-Chief, Volume 40, Numbers 1 and 2, 2015
- Journal of Religion and Health, Ad-hoc Reviewer, 2014-Present
- Stress and Health, Ad-hoc Reviewer, 2011-Present
- Asian Pacific Education Review, Ad-hoc Reviewer, 2011-Present
- Interamerican Journal of Psychology, Board Member and Reviewer, July 2011-Present
- Journal of Asia Pacific Counseling, Associate Editor, October 2010-Present
- Past-President, Association for Specialists in Group Work, 2020-2021
- Professional Member Research & Knowledge Committee, American Counseling Association, 2016-2019
- Graduate Student Mentor, Counselors for Social Justice, 2020-2021
- Associate Director for Research, Mindfulness Program, University of Florida, 2015-Present
- Associate Director, Executive Board, Center for Spirituality and Health, University of Florida, 2006-Present
- American Counseling Association
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
- Association for Specialists in Group Work
- Association for Spiritual, Ethical and Religious Values in Counseling
- Chi Sigma Iota - Beta Chapter - University of Florida
- Counselors for Social Justice
- Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities
- Compadrazgo/Comadrazga (Godparent) Mentoring Leadership Award, 2016
- Outstanding Research Award, National Research Foundation of Korea, 2013. For the following study: Lee, J., Puig, A., & Lee, S. M. (2012). The effect of the demand control and effort reward imbalance models on the academic burnout of Korean adolescents. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 32(1), 113-123.
- Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW) Presidential Award, 2011. In recognition of contribution to ASGW Conference Program and International Group Work Committees American Counseling Association National Conference
Unlocking Creativity through Mindfulness
- UF Catalyst Fund
Play and Creativity across the Lifespan: A Photographic Journey
- UF Catalyst Fund
- Puig, A., Swank, J., Haynes-Thoby, L., & Paladino, D. (under contract). Foundations in becoming a professional counselor: Advocacy, social justice, and intersectionality. New York, NY: Springer.
- Puig, A., Skudrzyk, B., Monteiro-Leitner, J., & Hutchins, A. M. (Eds.). (2016). International perspectives on group work: Leadership, practice, research, and teaching. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis. http://www.routledge.com/products/9781138190528
- Puig, A., & Adams, C. M. (2018). The Delphi technique. In B. Frey (Ed.), The SAGE encyclopedia of educational research, measurement, and evaluation. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781506326139.n190
- *Lenes, E., Baggs, A., & Puig, A. (2016). Multicultural supervision training: A creative and mindful exploration of spiritual diversity. In M. Luke, B. Goodrich, & G. Crofts (Eds.), Group work experts share their favorite activities for supervision. Alexandria, VA: Association for Specialists in Group Work.
- Fukuyama, M. A., & Puig, A. (2016). Religion, spirituality and culture-oriented counseling. In P. B. Pedersen, J. G. Draguns, W. J. Lonner, J. E. Trimble, & M. Scharrón del Río (Eds.), Counseling across cultures: Toward inclusive cultural empathy. (pp. 477-498). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Fukuyama, M. A., Puig, A., *Baggs, A., & *Pence-Wolf, C. (2014). Exploring the intersections of religion and spirituality with race-ethnicity & gender in counseling. In M. L. Miville, & A. D. Ferguson (Eds.), The handbook of race-ethnicity and gender in psychology. New York: NY: Springer.
- Fukuyama, M. A., Puig, A., *Pence-Wolf, C., & *Baggs, A. (2014). Religion and spirituality. In F. T. L. Leong, L. Comas-Diaz, G. Nagayama Hall, V. McLoyd, & J. Trimble (Eds.), The handbook of multicultural psychology, Vol. 1: Theory and research (pp. 519-534). Washington, DC: APA. doi: 10.1037/14189-028
- Swank, J., *Houseknecht, A., & Puig, A., (2020, October). A qualitative exploration of counselor educators' authorship practices and beliefs. Counseling & Values Journal.