Apply To Our Social Studies Education Certificate Program!
If you are interested in teaching Social Studies at the secondary level (6-12 grades) and want strong coursework and a rigorous supervised field experience in your content area, this program is for you! We now offer an online program that leads to Florida Teacher Professional Certification at the post-baccalaureate level. This certificate program is an approved Florida Department of Education Educator Preparation Institute (EPI). Our program:
- Is interdisciplinary
- Can be completed in 2 semesters
- Provides strong subject-area preparation with 1 semester of supervised student teaching
- Has online coursework with video-based supervision (or local supervision if you reside in Gainesville)
This 18-credit certification program is fully approved by the Florida Department of Education and leads to eligibility for Professional Educator certification in Florida.
- ESE 6345 Effective Teaching and Classroom Management in the Secondary Classroom
- ESE 5XXX Data Driven Instructional Practices
- EDG 5666 Knowing and Learning in Secondary Education
- TSL 5XXX ESOL and Reading for Secondary Teachers
- SSE 6133 Secondary Social Studies Methods
- ESE 6945 Student Teaching in the Secondary School
The courses can be then be transferred into a Master’s degree program with us in Social Studies Education.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (official transcripts required)
- Upper division undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher (last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination’s General Knowledge Exam (note: can be waived with acceptable scores on the Graduate Records Examination (GRE)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exam in Social Science 6-12
- Statement of purpose essay explaining why this certificate program is a good fit for you
- Submission of FLDOE’s Statement of Status of Eligibility
Admission Terms and Deadlines
- Applications are available now
- Deadline to Apply: April 15 for summer term start.
- Note: We admit students in summer term only and student teaching is only available in the fall term.
Apply online after reading this list of instructions and the instructions at this link.
Email Earl McKee with the following:
- Statement of purpose which says why this program is a good fit for you
- Dates of your scheduled FTCE exams (subject area and general knowledge)
As part of your application, you must also ensure that academic transcripts are sent from each higher education institution attended to the University of Florida’s Office of Admissions, CODE 5812 if done online, or mail to PO Box 114000, 201 Criser Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611-4000.