PO Box 117048
Gainesville, FL 32611
- School of Teaching and Learning
Adolescent Literacy, Critical Literacy, ESOL, Early Childhood, Early Childhood Literacy, Elementary Education, English Education, Language, Language and Literacy Development, Mathematics Education, Middle School / Jr. High, Postsecondary Education, Preservice Teacher Education, Primary / Elementary, Reading, Science Education, Secondary / High School Transition, Social Studies Education, Sociolinguistics, Writing
- Ph.D., Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA (1997)
- M.A., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA (1995)
- M.A., Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, China (1991)
- B.A., Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian China (1988)
- Assistant to Full Professor, University of Florida (1997–present)
Activities and Honors
- UKLA/Wiley Literacy Research Award, United Kingdom Literacy Association (2022)
- University Term Professor, University of Florida (2020-2023)
- Irving & Rose Fien Endowed Professor of Education, University of Florida (2019-2021)
- University Preeminence Term Professor, University of Florida (2016-2019)
- University Research Foundation Professor, University of Florida (2008-2011)
- College of Education Teacher of the Year, University of Florida (1999)
- Promising Researcher, National Council of Teachers of English (1998)
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, Purdue University (1998)
- Fang, Z., Gresser, V., Cao, P., & Zhang, H. (2022). Genre and register features of sixth-grade students’ factual writing. Written Communication, 39 https://doi.org/10.1177/07410883221085993
- Fang, Z., Gresser, V., Cao, P., & Zheng, J. (2021). Nominal complexities in school children’s informational writing. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 50, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeap.2021.100958
- Park, J., & Fang, Z. (2021). Voice in adolescents’ informational writing. Literacy, 55(3), 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1111/lit.12244
- Fang, Z., & Chapman, S. (2020). Disciplinary literacy in mathematics: One mathematician’s reading practices. Journal of Mathematical Behaviour, 59, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmathb.2020.100799
- Fang, Z., Cao, P., & Murray, N. (2020). Language and meaning making: Register choices in seventh- and ninth-grade students’ factual writing. Linguistics and Education, 56, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.linged.2020.100798
- Fang, Z. (2020). Toward a linguistically informed, responsive and embedded pedagogy in secondary literacy instruction. Journal of World Languages, 6 (1-2), 70-91.
- Fang, Z., & Park, J. (2020). Academic language in adolescents’ informational writing. Reading & Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 33(1), 97-119.
- Fang, Z., Adams, B., Gresser, V., & Li, C. (2019). Developing critical literacy through an SFL-informed pedagogical heuristic. English Teaching: Practice & Critique, 18(1), 4-17.
- Fang, Z. (2016). Text complexity in the Common Core State Standards: A linguistic critique. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 39(3). 195-206.
- Fang, Z. (2016). Teaching close reading with complex texts across content areas. Research in the Teaching of English, 51(1), 106-116.
Books / Book Chapters
- Fang, Z. (2021). Demystifying academic writing: Genres, moves, skills, and strategies. London/New York: Routledge.
- Fang, Z. (2021). Using functional grammar in English literacy teaching and learning. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Fang, Z. with Lamme, L. & Pringle, R. (2010). Language and literacy in inquiry-based science classrooms: Grades 3-8. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin & Arlington, VA: National Science Teachers Association Press.
- Fang, Z. (2008). Reading in secondary content areas: A language-based pedagogy. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Fang, Z., & Colosimo, N. (2022). Promoting science literacy through reading: A disciplinary literacy approach. In E. Ortlieb, B. Kane, & E. Cheek (Eds.), Unpacking disciplinary literacies: From research to practice. New York: Guilford.
- Patrick, J., & Fang, Z. (2022). High school science teachers learning to teach reading through a functional focus on language: Toward a grounded theory of teacher learning. In L. Seah, R. Silver, & M. Baildon (Eds.), The role of language in content pedagogy: A framework for teachers’ knowledge. London: Springer.
- Fang, Z., & Li, G. (2021). Writing in school science for EAL students: Linguistic challenges and pedagogical response. In A. Golden, L. Kulbrandstad, & L. Zhang (Eds.). Cross boarders, writing texts, being evaluated: Cultural and disciplinary norms in academic writing (pp. 64-83). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Fang, Z. (2017). Academic language and subject area learning. In K. Hinchman & D. Appleman (Eds.), Adolescent literacy handbook of practice-based research (pp. 323-340). New York: Guilford.