Fingerprint and Background Check Requirements
The 2004 Florida legislature passed Senate Bill 2986 amending Sections 1012.32 and 1012.56, Florida Statutes. Effective June 2004, all students in educator preparation programs who are engaged in field experiences and who have direct contact with PreK – 12th grade students are required to supply the school district with fingerprints for the purpose of completing a criminal background check. Prior to first-term enrollment, all school counseling and guidance students completing clinical practicum and internships are required to complete the fingerprint and background check process.
FINGERPRINT & BACKGROUND PROCEDURES
WHAT: Fingerprinting and Background Check
WHERE: School Board of Alachua County (SBAC)
WEST WING of the Kirby Smith Center
620 East University Avenue, Gainesville
WHEN: Tuesday – Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
COST: $54.50 credit card or money order ONLY
NO cash accepted
For pre-approval on line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, go to www.cogentid.com
Or call 1-888-439-2486, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted
Present money order payable to Cogent Systems at the time
Fingerprints are submitted. Students must print their name on the money order.
- Go to the Human Resources Receptionist in the West wing of the Kirby Smith Center and indicate that you are a UF student who needs to be fingerprinted. BE PATIENT – the district personnel office has many employees and college/university students who will need fingerprinting at this time of the year in order to comply with the law.
- Take your photo ID and money order (if not using the credit card option).
- IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS A “UF STUDENT” SO THAT YOUR CLEARANCE WILL BE PLACED IN THE CORRECT FILE. Not doing so may cause your clearance to be placed in the incorrect file.
- Complete the fingerprinting process (electronic fingerprints, no inky smudging).
- Thank the person who’s doing the fingerprinting….it’s a lot of work and it’s going to be overload with all the UF students who need to be cleared in addition to students from other colleges/universities who complete placements in Alachua County. You will then be able to leave Kirby Smith.
- Background check/clearance will take approximately 24/48 hours. Call 955-7654 ext. 224 and speak to the personnel services secretary to confirm that your background clearance is back. You must bring a photo ID to pick up the printout of your background clearance and then bring the background clearance to the Office of Student Services, G-416 Norman Hall.
- Fingerprint results that indicate criminal history may require you to provide arrest or court documents to the school district before a clearance can be determined. The College of Education’s Office of Student Services will contact you if further information is needed.
ALACHUA COUNTY SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
If you are a current substitute teacher in Alachua County, please bring your Substitute Card to Student Services, G-416 Norman Hall, as proof that you have been fingerprinted by the School Board of Alachua County.