16 December, 2002 FPC Meeting Minutes

December 16, 2002

Room 158 Norman Hall

Members Present: Phil Clark, Maureen Conroy, Vivian Correa, Silvia Echevarria-Doan, Lamont Flowers, Cynthia Griffin (for Paul Sindelar), Mirka Koro-Ljungberg (for Bridget Franks), Jane Townsend, Nancy Waldron, Elizabeth Yeager

Members Absent:  Jim Archer

Others Present:  Dean Catherine Emihovich, Associate Dean John Kranzler

Correa called the meeting to order at 2:06 p.m.

Agenda and Minutes

1. Approval of the agenda for December 16, 2002.

Conroy made a motion to approve the agenda. Echeverria-Doan seconded the motion. The FPC unanimously approved the agenda.

2. Approval of the minutes of the December 2, 2002 Meeting.

Associate Dean Kranzler requested two revisions in the section Graduate Admissions—Continuing Professional Development for Teachers. Specifically, ”Gerhardt” should replace “The Provost and Vice President” in the third sentence. He clarified the position of the Provost, who supports the consideration of exceptions for current teachers and for students currently enrolled in the Proteach Elementary and Early Childhood Programs to the UF graduate admission criteria of a minimum score of 1000 on the GRE and a 3.0 upper-division GPA. He indicated that further discussion with the Provost and Graduate School is underway.

Clark made a motion to approve the minutes (as revised). The motion was seconded by Yeager, and the revised minutes were unanimously approved.

Reports from FPC Committees

· College Curriculum Committee.

Waldron stated that the next CCC meeting is scheduled for January 6.

· Undergraduate Admissions/Petitions Committee.

No report

· Graduate Admissions/Petitions Committee.

Echevarria-Doan reported that the committee met on December 6 to consider petitions for seven students (five supported, two denied) and would meet again on February 7.

· Faculty Affairs Committee.

Townsend reported that the committee met December 12 and is continuing to review feedback on the Tenure &Promotion Procedures.

· Research Advisory Committee.

Conroy reported that the committee met with Dean Emihovich on December 10 to discuss her goals for the proposed Collaborative Assessment, Research, and Evaluation (CARE) Office[1] in the College. Several issues related to the new office were discussed, including (a) office infrastructure, (b) support for grants and proposals, (c) building collaborative teams for large grants, (d) seeking fellowship opportunities for students, and (e) evaluation grants.

The CARE office will be staffed by a fiscal assistant, two graduate assistants, a program manager, and a faculty member designated to oversee the work of the office. RAC will assist the Dean in writing a position description for a program manager. The position will be advertised in January or February. The RAC plans to attend department faculty meetings to gather input from faculty on the desired role for the CARE office.

RAC received a small number of responses regarding COE doctoral research requirements. The responses ranged from maintaining to completely changing the current requirements. The RAC discussed the idea of holding faculty forums to allow interested faculty to discuss the issue.

· Student Recruitment and Admissions Committee.

Yeager reported that the committee met on December 12 to discuss the proposal on continuing professional development for teachers, minority recruitment strategies, and the College’s options with regard to adopting the UF Graduate School’s policy of not requiring a GRE score for doctoral admission for applicants who hold master’s degrees from accredited programs. The committee would hold its next meeting on February 13.

· Long-Range Planning Committee.

No report.

Correa indicated that she has invited faculty to the spring faculty forums and has placed information about the faculty forums on the FPC Web site for faculty review.

Report from the Dean

Dean Emihovich reported that she has been meeting with potential donors. Attempts are being made to identify areas of faculty expertise and interest and match this information to potential donors. Some common interest areas that are being explored are leadership, and incorporating the arts in learning.

Emihovich briefly discussed David Lawrence’s recent visit to the College and possibilities for collaborative projects. Early childhood education is an area of emphasis for the State that may provide impetus for the development of a state-of-the-art early childhood research center at the COE.

Unfinished Business

1. Procedures for conducting faculty forums [Long-Range Planning]

The FPC discussed the development and facilitation of the faculty forums that are scheduled for February 3rd and March 3rd, 2003.

It was noted that assigning certain committees to develop and facilitate these forums would set a precedent for future assignments related to faculty forums.

The following related topics were discussed:

·  Importance of involving the LRPC in the spring faculty forums because the focus of the meetings will relate to College “vision”

·  The importance of “shared governance” with regard to the selection of topics for future faculty forums

·  The involvement of the LRPC and the FPC with the process of planning and facilitating future faculty forums

FPC members agreed that LRPC should have the primary responsibility for planning and conducting the upcoming faculty forums, given the focus on “A Vision for the COE.” Correa reiterated the importance of organizing “successful” faculty forums, and indicated that it was important for FPC to provide support to LRPC by responding to requests related to the development, planning, and facilitation of the forums.

  1. Approve Review for Assistant/Associate Dean Evaluation Guidelines

Correa distributed a revised draft document that describes the rationale and procedures for conducting a review of the COE assistant and associate deans. She revised a document that is used by the Indiana University School of Education for the faculty review of academic administrators (Review Procedures for School of Education Academic Administrators – Indiana University).

This document provides procedures for regular review of the performance of administrative officers who hold positions bearing directly on the campus-wide teaching/research mission of the COE, as outlined in the COE Constitution.

This review will apply to the following academic officers/offices who report to the Dean of the COE:

·  Assistant Dean, Student Affairs

·  Associate Dean, Graduate Studies and Research

·  Associate Dean, Academic Affairs

The FPC members in attendance, Dean Emihovich, and Associate Dean Kranzler reviewed the draft document. Several possible scenarios were discussed, and some document revisions were recommended, including:

·  A proposed change from two years to three years for the review interval

·  Add a provision for the reviewed official to be able to respond in writing to the review, if necessary, for the record

·  A revision in the process of submitting the Review Committee’s report to the Dean

Dean Emihovich noted that the Dean would share the final copy of the report with the reviewed administrator. She reiterated that the Dean should have discretion regarding the ultimate action that is to be taken with regard to the reviewed administrator.

Correa will revise the document, utilizing the input from the FPC discussion, and present the revised document for final review at the next FPC meeting.

New Business

  1. The agenda was reviewed for the upcoming Dean’s Advisory Council/Faculty Policy Council Retreat, scheduled for Thursday, December 19, 2002 [8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.]

According to the preliminary agenda, Retreat attendees will divide into five groups to discuss how to implement elements of the COE strategic plan. The designated groups are:

1. Strategies for developing more collaborative programs

2. Strategies for increasing student recruitment and retention

3. Strategies for building research infrastructure

4. Strategies for balancing faculty load

5. Strategies for increasing diversity among faculty, staff, and students

The FPC members and committee chairs who plan to attend include Mary Brownell, Sevan Terzian, Jim Archer, Phil Clark, Jane Townsend, Maureen Conroy, Vivian Correa, and Nancy Waldron.

Correa distributed copies of the following two memoranda to FPC members:

·  Memorandum from Jean A. Larsen, Faculty Senate Chairperson (dated November 11, 2002) to President Young and Provost Colburn about UF shared governance proposals (the Faculty Senate report is available at: http://www.senate.ufl.edu/HotTopics.docs/shareColl02.html)

·  Memorandum from Provost Colburn to UF Deans, Directors, and Department Chairs (dated December 16, 2002) requesting the submission of the criteria used by each college/unit during this year’s tenure and promotion proceedings.


The meeting was adjourned at 3:41 p.m.

The CARE Office will foster multidisciplinary and inter-institutional research, identify funding sources, support proposal writing and processing, assist in grant administration, and help in report preparation.


2 December, 2002 FPC Meeting Minutes

December 2, 2002

Room 158 Norman Hall

Members Present: Phil Clark, Maureen Conroy, Vivian Correa, Silvia Echevarria-Doan, Lamont Flowers, Bridget Franks, Paul Sindelar, Jane Townsend, Nancy Waldron, Elizabeth Yeager

Members Absent:  Jim Archer

Other Present: Dean Catherine Emihovich, Associate Dean John Kranzler

Vivian Correa called the meeting to order at 2:07 p.m.

Agenda and Minutes

1.  Approval of the agenda for December 2, 2002.

Yeager made a motion to approve the agenda as submitted by Correa.  Clark seconded the motion.  The FPC unanimously approved the agenda.

2. Approval of the November 18, 2002 Minutes

Sindelar made a motion to approve the minutes of November 18th, which was seconded by Conroy.  The minutes of November 18, 2002 were unanimously approved.

Reports of FPC Committees

· College Curriculum Committee

Waldron reported that the CCC met electronically by e-mail for the November 25th meeting.  Kranzler stated that the University Curriculum Committee approved all courses that were submitted by the COE.  The next CCC meeting is January 6, 2003.

· Undergraduate Admissions/Petitions Committee

Franks reported that this committee has not met since the last FPC meeting.

· Graduate Admissions/Petitions Committee

Echeverria-Doan reported that the GA&P committee would meet on December 6, 2002.

· Faculty Affairs Committee

No report.

· Research Advisory Committee

Conroy stated that the committee would meet on December 10, 2002. A survey has been distributed to faculty asking for comments regarding the COE doctoral research requirements.

· Student Recruitment and Admission Committee

Yeager reported that the committee would meet on December 11, 2002.

· Long-Range Planning Committee

No report.

· Ad hoc Committee on Assistant/Associate Dean Review

Correa reported that the Ad hoc committee is completing work on a document that presents a review procedure for Assistant/Associate Deans. These procedures will be discussed at the next FPC meeting on December 16th.

The committee also discussed changing the language in the constitution regarding the time period for administrative reviews.  Presently the Dean is to be reviewed every year and the assistant/associate Deans every two years.  A recommendation will be made that reviews be conducted every three years.

Report from the Dean

Dean Emihovich reported she met with Provost Colburn, Dr. Glover,

Dr. Dickinson, and Dr. Frazier regarding the College of Education Strategic Plan.  The consensus of the plan was that the College was moving in a positive direction.  Discussion focused on the need for collaboration between the COE and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, specifically involving math and science programs.  Current collaboration with the Colleges of Engineering and Agriculture was recognized and encouraged to continue, as well as collaboration surrounding early childhood that involves David Lawrence.

Discussions with Colburn focused on structural issues that may serve as a barrier to the development of collaborative programs. Two issues identified were:  (1) Tenure and Promotion issues, and (2) FTE breakout and resources for joint programs.

Emihovich indicated that the process used to develop the strategic planning document worked well, with input provided by members of the Dean’s Advisory Council and FPC members. It was reinforced that while the plan is now in written form, it is viewed as a working document that is available as a stimulus for further feedback and revision.

Dean Emihovich reported as faculty retire or leave the university, one to one replacements would not occur.  Request for faculty replacements will have to be framed in a manor that is consistent with the university and COE strategic plan, and increasingly reflects collaborative efforts across programs. In the future, faculty will likely be working in multiple programs, not just one program in a single department.

Discussion focused on the multiple pressures placed on the college at both the state and national levels. Emihovich stated there were discussions occurring within the state of the need to release universities from the myriad of state regulations. Incompatible requests are being made to meet all state regulations related to teacher education, and at the same time develop alternative and innovative programs. Presently the state is giving flexibility to school districts to develop alternative certification programs, while at the same time “tying the hands” of colleges of education with additional requirements.  This message is being communication consistently to the Florida DOE.

The provost is aware that we will not be producing a huge number of new teachers for the state and is supportive of a greater college emphasis on graduate education options. It was noted that in a time of declining resources this would mean that an increase in graduate enrollment can only occur with some reduction in undergraduate programs.

Graduate Admissions – Continuing Professional Development for Teachers

Kranzler reported on feedback from Colburn and Gerhardt regarding the proposal on continuing professional development for teachers. Colburn supports the proposal that an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 OR a 1000 GRE score apply to certified teachers, as well as current students enrolled in the Proteach early childhood and elementary programs. Gerhardt continues to support the need for a GRE floor set at 900 for all applicants, including teachers and students enrolled in Proteach. The proposal is currently in Gerhardt’s hands and Kranzler anticipates hearing from them shortly.

Unfinished Business

· T&P guidelines 3-year review (Faculty Affairs Committee)

An update was provided on the progress of the T & P guidelines. The FAC met today to discuss the feedback provided by departments and individual faculty members. The FAC plans to work on some specific language changes in the proposal and then will submit the document to the FPC for approval.

Townsend stated that the 3-year review appears to be the issue generating the most comment.  Comments range from keeping the 3-year review as specified in the proposal, making it a more formalized process, or making it a voluntary process. Although faculty at the college level are in agreement with the proposal in general, some departments expressed concerns with how college administration would implement the approved COE T&P guidelines.

Dean Emihovich inquired as to what dynamics have occurred in the COE to cause a fear of lack of support from the administration.  Discussion focused on changes and ambiguity about T & P criteria, narrow perspectives about scholarship, and concerns that faculty load are not considered in T & P decisions.  Comments supported the need to revisit College documents about the criteria for tenure and promotion. Correa stated that the latest criteria for the college were developed more than 5 years ago, and the purpose of that revision was to consider the area of “ service” for tenure and promotion.

A discussion followed regarding the process for approving the T & P proposal when it comes before the FPC. Various opinions were expressed about whether the proposal should be submitted for a vote to all COE faculty or have the FPC vote on the proposal. According to the COE Constitution, the FPC is to decide which issues are forwarded for a full faculty vote. This issue will be revisited when the proposal comes before the FPC at an upcoming meeting.

FPC members asked that the department and faculty feedback provided to the FAC on the T & P proposal be made available to FPC members for review when the final proposal comes for approval.


Correa stated if FPC members are unable to attend scheduled meetings, it is important that they send an alternate.  FPC members are encouraged to make these arrangements in advance, so that all members and departments are represented at each meeting


[1] Clark moved the meeting be adjourned.  Sindelar seconded the motion.  The Committee voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 3:35 pm.