New Mathematics Education Program Coming Summer 2018!
If you are interested in teaching Mathematics at the secondary level (6-12 grades) and want strong coursework and a rigorous supervised field experience in your content area, this program is for you! Beginning in Summer 2018 we will be offering an online program that leads to Florida Teacher Professional Certification at the post-baccalaureate level. This certificate program is an approved Florida Department of Education Educator Preparation Institute (EPI). Our program is:
- Completed in 2 semesters
- Strong subject-area preparation with 1 semester of supervised student teaching
- Online coursework with video-based supervision (or local supervision if you reside in Gainesville)
This 18-credit certification program is fully approved by the Florida Department of Education and leads to eligibility for Professional Educator certification in Florida. Students from out of state are welcome to apply. Be sure you understand the implications for your own state’s teaching certification requirements.
- ESE 6345 Effective Teaching and Classroom Management in the Secondary Classroom
- ESE 5XXX Data Driven Instructional Practices
- ESE 5XXX Knowing and Learning in Secondary Education
- TSL 5XXX ESOL and Reading for Secondary Teachers
- MAE 5332 Secondary School Mathematics Methods and Assessment
- ESE 6945 Student Teaching in the Secondary School
The courses can be then be transferred into a Master’s degree program with us in Mathematics Education
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (official transcripts required)
- Upper division undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher (last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination’s General Knowledge Exam (note: can be waived with acceptable scores on the Graduate Records Examination (GRE)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exam in Mathematics
- Statement of purpose essay explaining why this certificate program is a good fit for you
- Submission of FLDOE’s Statement of Status of Eligibility
Admission Terms and Deadlines
- Applications are now available!
- Deadline to Apply for Summer 2018: April 20, 2018
- Note: We admit students in summer term only and student teaching is only available in the fall term.