Description: Under the direction of the school principal, the band director is responsible for supporting the Diocese of St. Augustine in its mission to educate, evangelize and catechize youth in a Catholic school environment. For the full job description and requirements, please see the job posting on Indeed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with teachers 5-8 to promote and encourage student participation in the band program.
- Direct middle school instrumental performers, including beginners, intermediate, advanced, all soloists, ensembles, and performance/competition.
- Establish performance requirements, enforce academic requirements.
- Provide for band participation at extra-curricular events, including concerts, special events, and competitions.
- Coordinate school calendar for school rehearsals.
- Recruit qualified fifth graders for band.
- Interpret and implement sound budgetary practices accordingly.
- Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all band equipment.
- Develop and implement plans for instrumental music programs and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
- Develop and implement differentiated learning strategies to meet the needs of multiple learning styles present in the band classroom.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Evaluate and place students in band classes according to their ability.
- Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Apply and enforce student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with students, administrators, and teachers.
- Maintain professional relationships with colleagues, students, parents, administrators, and community members.
- Work to provide campus, District, and community awareness of band activities and performances.
- Actively participate in district and area music events.
- Works collaboratively in a positive, friendly and professional manner.
- Adheres to all diocesan and school policies and regulations, while supporting the school’s spiritual, pastoral and educational mission.
- Demonstrates effective planning skills by preparing lesson plans designed to implement and achieve academic goals and objectives, as adopted by the school.
- Builds the school’s faith community by a demonstrated willingness to participate and help plan school religious and service-related activities
- Establishes a consistent classroom management approach that promotes self-direction and a positive self-image. Sets high standards for student behavior and manages inappropriate behavior effectively, in accordance with school policy.
- Participates in continuous professional development as a lifelong learner.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Professional Educator Music K – 12 certification in the State of Florida is preferred.
- Must have or be able to obtain within two years Basic Diocesan Ministry Certification.
- Ability to respect, promote, accommodate, and not be in conflict with the mission, moral and social teachings, doctrines and laws of the Roman Catholic faith in the way one speaks, acts and instructs.
- Must successfully pass the required criminal background check prior to employment and every five years; must complete Protecting God’s Children (PGC) workshop prior to employment.
- Proficient in use of computer technology, including school-related software.
- Ability to have flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately.
- Must consistently demonstrate a positive, friendly, respectful and caring attitude with colleagues, the public, and all one serves in word and deed.
Application: To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Indeed to apply https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Queen-of-Peace-Catholic-Academy-1/jobs?jk=c939f8767484f005&start=0&clearPrefilter=1.