3 October, 2001 Dean’s Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Dean Nelms welcomed committee members to the Dean’s Advisory Council (DAC) meeting.  In introductory remarks, he paid tribute to the memory of President Young’s wife, Sue Young, whose memorial service was scheduled later in the day.

Issues for Discussion

The committee discussed a common time for College and Departmental Meetings and agreed that Mondays from 2:00-4:00 would be kept open for these meetings.  This schedule will become effective beginning Fall 2002.  A small subcommittee will be established to set up this plan.

Ric T’ Felt and Robert Wideman demonstrated the new COE web page and distributed UF Web Site Security Guidelines handouts.  Dean Webb distributed COE Web site Guidelines that the Advisory Council discussed and approved:

1.  Any group or individual wishing to link to the College website will

use a College website template for their homepage.  They are

encouraged to use a College template beyond homepage level, but

that is not required.

2.  Faculty may obtain the appropriate Homepage Template from the

College Webmaster (Robert Wideman).  We will have different homepage templates for the Departments, Dean’s Area Offices, Programs, Centers and Faculty.

3.  Each Department and College office will have a webmaster.

4.  Committee secretaries or chairs will serve as Committee Webmasters.

5.  Gail Ring will provide Webmaster training.

Notes from Dean’s Advisory Council Meeting

October 3, 2001

Page Two

6.  The Office of Educational Outreach and Communications (Vernetson) will serve as editor on link pages and will monitor links periodically to determine that information has been updated.

7.  Anyone entering information or loading documents to the College website should follow the COE web site style sheet and the American Psychological Association (APA) Manual of Style.

8.  The Webmaster suggests that anyone entering information to the College website should use Multimedia Dream Weaver and Adobe Go Live.

The Dean discussed the 2002-2003 budget priorities.  He also discussed the following budget concerns:

1.  There is a freeze on staff hiring except for special cases.

2.  The college has been given approval to proceed with chair


3.  No new positions can be created without special permission.  Only positions that are already advertised may be filled.

4.  Vacant positions may be filled only with approval from Provost.

5.  The Provost has indicated that he will call a special meeting with the Deans to discuss budget cuts. A Deans retreat is tentatively scheduled for October 30.  Budget cuts may be addressed at this meeting.

6.  Except for the two department chair positions, the Dean will not authorize faculty searches until the budget situation becomes clearer.

Dr. Doud stated that the Employee Voucher Form does not contain space for the receiving department to make comments.  The Dean stated that this issue will be discussed further at the next meeting of the DAC.

Dr. Doud also stated that one of the gubernatorial candidate’s campaign committee members has requested that a small group of faculty (4-5) meet with the candidate and/or staff to discuss policies and issues associated with recent restructuring of education (BOR and K-16) as well as other issues of concern to the College (teacher/principal certification, funding of education, etc.) and state.

Notes from Dean’s Advisory Council Meeting

October 3, 2001

Page Three

FPC Report

Stephen Smith, Chair of the Faculty Policy Council reported the following update:

1.  FPC meetings are being conducted

2.  Dean’s Advisory Council is functioning

3.  College Curriculum Committee has met for the first time

4.  All Committee structures are in place

5.  FPC will submit a letter to the Provost commending him for appointing an outstanding Dean search committee

6.  FPC will submit fall faculty meeting minutes that include a list of characteristics to Paul George, Chair of the search committee

7.  FPC needs an inventory of College policies

8.  FPC needs an inventory of possible constitution amendments

9.  FPC needs procedural guidelines for each committee

10.  FPC will review College budget with Dean on October 15

Report of Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

Dean Webb discussed the following issues:

1.  Faculty load assignments

2.  Instructors of Record

Report of the Interim Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research

Dean Kranzler discussed the Doctoral Dissertation Advisor/Mentoring Awards Program.  He stated that a committee would be established to review the nominations.  One representative from each department and two doctoral students will serve on this committee.

Dean Kranzler also discussed a change in policy for grant submission so that all grants go through the Office of Graduate Studies and Research prior to submission.

Notes from Dean’s Advisory Council Meeting

October 3, 2001

Page Four

Report of Assistant Dean for Educational Outreach and Communications

Dean Vernetson announced the following:

She thanked chairs for encouraging their faculty to submit proposals and participate in the 2002 Critical Issues Conference.

She reminded Chairs that the NCATE Annual report deadline is October 5.

The Homecoming reception will be held on November 2, and former Deans’ portraits will be unveiled.

Report of the Dean

The Dean discussed the Title II State Report Interim Summary.  Because some programs require the exam for program completion and hence have 100% pass rate, UF falls into the second quartile (97-99% pass rate).  This exam becomes a program completion requirement for everyone who enters as a freshman beginning with the 2000-2001 academic year beginning with the Fall semester 2000.  COE programs which award master’s or higher degrees at program completion will begin using FTCE pass rate for graduation in Spring semester in 2005.

The Dean noted the enrollment decline (head count) for the fall semester.  At a later meeting we will examine five-year trends.

The deadline for submitting nominations for the 2001-2002 Salary Pay Plan for Professors will be announced from Dean Webb’s office.

The Dean announced that he attended an Education/Engineering Deans Summit in Baltimore earlier this week.  NSF will make $200M available to improve K-12 math and science teaching.  An announcement was made that the Department of Education will make $500-$900M available for the same purpose, probably in the spring.  A joint task force from the College of Education and the College of Engineering will be established in the near future to inventory our current programs, examine mutual interests and concerns, and consider grant proposals for these and other competitions.

The Dean stated that the Staff Council has requested possible flex time in their work schedule.  This item will be discussed further at the next meeting.


1 October, 2001 FPC Meeting Minutes

October 1, 2001
Room 158 Norman Hall

Members Present: Richard Allington, Phil Clark, Maureen Conroy (alternate), Vivian Correa, Bridget Franks, David Honeyman, Max Parker, Tina Smith-Bonahue, Stephen Smith (Chair), Joe Wittmer

Members Absent:  Hazel Jones, Jane Townsend

Others Present:  Rod Webb, Dean’s Office

The meeting was called to order by the Chair at 9:07 a.m.

Action Items

Clark moved and Honeyman seconded to accept the agenda. The agenda was accepted by unanimous vote.

Clark moved and Correa seconded to accept the minutes of September 17, 2001.  The minutes were accepted by unanimous vote.

Discussion  Items

1. Budget review from the Dean at October 15, 2001 FPC Meeting.

Smith requested that the agenda for the October 15th FPC meeting remain clear for the Dean’s review of the budget.

2. Review Selection of Student(s) for Student Recruitment /Admissions Committee

Smith-Bonahue questioned the process by which students would be selected for the Student Recruitment/Admissions committee.  She suggested that the Student/Admissions Committee should go ahead and schedule an initial meeting.  Meanwhile, Smith-Bonahue will contact the Education College Council for nominations of undergraduate student(s) and contact Department chairs or Doctoral student organizations for nominations of graduate student(s) from their departments to serve on this committee.  During this initial meeting, the Student Recruitment/Admissions Committee will review the list of nominees and select students to serve on the committee.  These names will then be forwarded to the FPC for final approval.  It also was clarified that there is no language in the constitution related to voting for the standing committee.  Students serving on this committee serve to advise and make recommendations on policies related to recruitment and admissions but will not address individual student concerns.

Smith-Bonahue and Correa (Chair, College Curriculum Committee) will coordinate the process for selecting student members.  The CCC also needs to select undergraduate and graduate student members.  Student members of the CCC do have voting privileges.

3. Review Procedures Guide for Committees from FPC

Smith reviewed minimum expectations that should guide all FPC committees as they begin their work.  These include:

a.  All committees meet at least two times per year.

b.  Each committee will include a dean’s representative who will serve as a non- voting member.

c.  At the completion of each Spring semester, each committee will provide the FPC with a three-ring binder of the committees’ procedures, agenda, and minutes.

d.  Each committee, whether operating or standing, will also provide the FPC with a written executive summary at the completion of each Spring semester.

e.  To ensure continuity, the committee will elect the chair for the following year.

There was much discussion about guideline(s) for electing a chair for each committee for each upcoming year.  It was suggested that the FPC member on the committee be in charge of convening the new committee in the fall of each year and elect a chair at that time.  It was also suggested that the “newly elected” committee be convened in late spring, after the final meeting of the academic year to select its chair. [Note:  clarification on guideline (e) will be needed]

Smith stated that he would refine the committee guidelines and present them to the FPC for further discussion, revisions, and final approval.

A question arose regarding the duplication of minutes and procedures in writing and on the web.  The FPC felt that redundancy was necessary regarding FPC procedures and minutes and that both written and web copies would continue to be generated.

4. Dean’s Search Document

A draft of the Dean’s Search document from the fall faculty meeting was distributed to FPC members.  There was concern raised about the list of desired characteristics, and it was suggested that the list be edited and given to all faculty for consensus building.  It was clarified that the list was generated by the faculty during a spontaneous discussion and brainstorm session and was not representative of faculty consensus.  Allington requested that the draft document be edited prior to submitting it to the search committee and offered to make those changes and submit them to Smith by Friday, October 5th.  Some FPC members felt that if the list was edited or revised it would not be representative of what faculty stated at the fall faculty meeting.  Allington moved and Wittmer seconded that the FPC edit the current draft of desired characteristics of a dean and have faculty rank order the desired characteristics.  The committee opposed the motion, with one vote in favor, one abstention, and seven votes opposing the motion.

A suggestion was made to have Smith deliver the document of desired characteristics, search procedures, and promoting the college to Paul George, Dean’s Search Committee Chair.  Clark moved and Smith-Bonahue seconded that Smith submit the existing draft of the document to Paul George for review by the Dean’s Search Committee and extend the FPC’s willingness to assist with the Dean’s search. The motion was approved by unanimous vote.

An additional suggestion was made to send a letter to the Provost from the FPC thanking him for his selection of the Dean’s Search Committee. Smith will draft the letter and asked that FPC members review it for suggestions and revisions.  The final draft of the letter will be distributed to members for signature and forwarded to the Provost.

It was also suggested that each FPC representative take time at their department faculty meetings to discuss the Dean’s search and updates from the FPC.

Discussion Items From September 17 Meeting

Some concerns were voiced about the need to have more information regarding the two discussions items related to:

q  how TAs and RAs will voice concerns under the new governance structure, and

q  how linkages can be made with the Staff Council

Although some issues were discussed related to TA and RA concerns, it was recommended that McGill-Franzen (STL, alternate) provide the FPC with more information on the topic.  Additionally, it was recommended that Hazel Jones discuss her views on the linkages with the Staff Council.  Allington moved and Wittmer seconded that the two discussion items from the September 17th meeting be tabled until the October 29th meeting. The motion passed with a unanimous vote.

Information Items

Two items identified for policy review were presented to the FPC.  Both items were addressed at the Agenda Committee on September 27th ? and it was recommended that they be forwarded to the Student Recruitment and Admissions Standing Committee for review.  The items related to graduate admissions and were part of last year’s College Curriculum Committee minutes as indicated below.

Item 1.  “The Department of Special Education and the School of Teaching and Learning should have the option of using the PRAXIS II as an alternative to the GRE for admissions decisions for the M.Ed. and M.A.E. (exclude Ed.S.).” This motion was passed 7 to 1 vote (CCC Minutes, 10/2/00; CCC Minutes, 11/6/00).

Item 2. “The College should continue to require the GRE for admission to doctoral program in all departments; however, applicants to doctoral or master’s programs who hold professional or other doctorates from an accredited university in the U.S. may be exempt from taking the GRE, upon approval by department.”  Motion passed 7 in favor, 1 opposed, and 1 abstention. (CCC Minutes, 10/2/00).

The Agenda Committee recommended that issue related to the approval of the graduation list be sent to the College Curriculum Committee.  The CCC will discuss the procedures at their first meeting on October 1.

Clark moved and Allington seconded to adjourn the meeting at 11:05 a.m.  The motion passed with a unanimous vote.