26 November, 2001 FPC Meeting Minutes

November 26, 2001

Room 158 Norman Hall

Members Present: Dick Allington, Phil Clark, Vivian Correa, Bridget Franks, David Honeyman, Hazel Jones, Tina Smith-Bonahue, Stephen Smith (Chair), Jane Townsend, Joe Wittmer

Members Absent:  Max Parker

Other Present: Rod Webb, Dean’s Office

Smith called the meeting to order at 9:10 a.m.

Action Items

1.  Approval of the agenda for November 26, 2001.

Correa made a motion to approve the agenda as submitted by Smith.  Clark seconded the motion.  The FPC unanimously approved the agenda as it was submitted.

2.   Selection of Student Representative, Student Recruitment/Admissions Committee

Smith-Bonahue reported that the Student Recruitment/Admissions Committee had selected two doctoral students to serve on the Faculty Policy Council: Donna Sabis and Courtney Johnson from the School of Teaching and Learning.  Smith-Bonahue moved to approve the selection of these two students, Franks seconded the motion.  The FPC unanimously approved the selection.

3. Recommendation from Agenda Committee Re:  Budget Advisory Committee.

A recommendation was made by the Agenda Committee to establish a Budget Advisory Ad Hoc Committee to work with the Dean and the Department Chairs. This ad hoc committee would consist of the Faculty Policy Council two-year members assuring departmental representative across each department.  Allington made a motion to accept the committee as proposed.  Clark seconded the motion.  Following a discussion, the FPC asked for a friendly amendment to the motion to remove the stipulation that only two-year term FPC members serve.  This was replaced with FPC members who would represent each department.  The Budget Advisory Ad Hoc Committee members would serve for the 2001 – 2002 academic year and the committee would meet as needed or determined by the Dean and the FPC.  Allington accepted the friendly amendment to his motion.  The FPC unanimously approved the motion.

Discussion Items:

1. Reminder of Constitutional Language about FPC Meetings

The Constitutional language states “Only members of the Faculty Policy Council have access to the floor during meetings, except when permission has been granted by consent of the Council or the Agenda Committee.”  It was suggested that if an individual faculty members wanted to raise an issue and speak before the FPC, he/she would need to request that the issue be put on the agenda.  The FPC would have to approve the addition of the agenda item.

2. Update on COE Policy Searches and Archives

Smith and Correa are in the process of reviewing the Department Chairs Meeting minutes and the Administrative Council Meeting minutes for the past three years for any policies that were made during that time.

3. Goal-Setting Retreat

A goal-setting retreat will be held on December 5th from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm at the United Church of Gainesville.  Approximately eight members of the FPC will attend.

Items Tabled from October 1 Meeting.

A discussion on how TAs/RAs will voice concerns under the new governance structure and a discussion on how linkages can be made with the Staff Council will be tabled until the next meeting.

Spring Semester Meetings

Meetings for the spring semester were discussed.  The FPC will continue to meet every other Monday morning.  Beginning in the Fall 2002, the FPC may change their meeting schedule to Monday from 2-4 pm, consistent with the new college policy of reserving that time for college/departmental meetings.  Dates for the spring semester meetings will be discussed at the next FPC meeting on December 10th.

Information Items

Committee Reports

Student Recruitment/Admissions Committee

Smith-Bonahue reported that Ruth Lowery is the elected chair elect for this committee.  Several issues have been suggested for the committee’s consideration.  The first issue will be to revisit the UF and college requirements for admissions into the graduate school.  The committee will attempt to schedule a meeting with Ken Gerhardt regarding these issues.  Questions regarding the GRE and Praxis were discussed.  Currently, the College of Education requires students to make a score of at least 1000 on the GRE and have no less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.  Last year, the graduate school approved the COE using BOTH the GRE and Praxis for admissions, but not substituting the Praxis for the GRE.  The committee will also investigate the SAC requirements regarding graduate admissions.  Two other issues that will be addressed by the committee include minority student recruitment and required research methodology courses.

Faculty Affairs Committee

Townsend reported that this committee has not elected a chair at this time and Townsend currently serves as the interim chair.  The committee is addressing the issue of Tenure & Promotion guidelines and will meet on Wednesday, November 28th.  Townsend discussed the development of a survey to be used for gathering information on T&P procedures across departments.

Furthermore, the committee has had a request to investigate issues related to equity of faculty workload across departments.  It was recommended that the issue of workload be presented in writing to the agenda committee and placed on the FPC discussion items.

FPC Procedures Clarification:  Clark reported that there should be clear procedures for accepting committee reports (limit time for presenting reports) and a set protocol for raising action items during those reports.

Research Advisory Committee

Honeyman reported that Tracy Linderholm was the new elected chair.  The role of the RAC is to provide advice and guidance to the Graduate Studies and Research Office.  Four issues have been raised for the committee’s consideration:

(1)  to examine the requirements listed in the graduate catalog related to the Ed.D. and Ph.D. and suggest consistent language for inclusion in the catalog,

(2)  to review the grant proposal submission process including deadlines, check-offs, and space requirements,

(3)  to examine the dissertation review process and the role of the Graduate Studies office in this process, and

(4)  to review the role, function, and purpose of the Center for School Improvement.

Honeyman distributed a memorandum from Kranzler requesting that the FPC review the policy statements in the catalog on the Ph.D. and Ed.D. qualifying examinations. It was recommended by the FPC that the RAC review the qualifying exam process, recommend changes, and present those changes to the FPC.  Honeyman stated that he would discuss this request with Tracy Linderholm.

Admissions and Petitions Committee

The issue of confidentiality and having open meetings at the Admissions and Petitions Committee meeting was discussed.  Although the A&P meetings are open to the public, it was suggested that the committee suspend the rules of order to deal with confidential reviews of individual student records.  All visitors will be asked to leave the room until the meeting is resumed

FPC Procedure Clarification

If action items are to be considered by the FPC, a written letter of recommendation of the item must be submitted to the FPC.  A motion will be made regarding the item and the FPC will speak to the motion.  An FPC member or chair of a committee will notify Smith of the action item to be considered for the next agenda.

Update on Budget by Dean Nelms

Nelms reported that there was no new information available regarding the budget. He did report that the Provost approved the method of responding to COE budget cuts that has been proposed for this year. Nelms also reported that the Provost would like the COE to work more closely with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and IFAS. Although future budget cuts are unknown, it is expected that the budget crisis will last at least another year. Nelms stated that the Ad Hoc Budget Advisory committee would most likely work throughout the spring semester. A mid-year report is due to the Provost sometime in January and input from the FPC is invited. Nelms reminded the FPC members of the retreat scheduled for December 5th. Goals for the college will be discussed at the retreat.

Townsend moved and Clark seconded to adjourn the meeting.  The FPC unanimously approved the motion.  The meeting was adjourned at 11:01 am.


7 November, 2001 Dean’s Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Dean Nelms welcomed committee members to the Dean’s Advisory Council (DAC) meeting.

Issues for Discussion

Michael Bowie, Director of the Office of Recruitment, Retention, and Multicultural Affairs (RRMA), reported the following activities:

1. Recruitment Activities include graduate students and staff visiting community colleges and advertisement in Diversity: Career Opportunities and Insights. He distributed a draft of a College-wide brochure for Graduate programs in Education.  The Department Chairs will receive information on minority recruitment in the near future.

2. Retention activities include receptions for doctoral and master’s

Students and weekly digests of RRMA activities, academic advising and counseling.  The office also provides Minority Education Scholarships (MES) and Minority Teacher Education Scholarships (MTES) funded through the Florida Fund for Minority Teachers, Inc.  Presently, 43 scholars are enrolled at the University of Florida.  Of that number, 11 are new scholars.  UF has 6.1% of the total number of MTES scholars enrolled in Florida’s colleges and universities.

3. Multicultural Affairs activities include the College Reach-Out

Program (CROP), which has been funded for 2001-2002. Other activities include a Minority Youth Spelling Bee, The Minority Student Education Guild (MSEG), and monthly workshops.

The Dean distributed information on College Mid-year Reviews for 2002.  Council members discussed and agreed upon the following:

1. Chairs will submit individual responses on particular

strengths in the department and areas that need improvement.  (Question #1)

2. Chairs will submit a brief inventory of continuing efforts at internationalization.  (Question #2)

3. Chairs should submit a list of academic goals for its

undergraduate and graduate programs relating to recent SACS reports.  In a brief list indicate what kind of program changes have been implemented “as a result of the SACS assessment.”  (Question #3)

4. Questions #4 and #5 will require responses discussed and

developed college-wide with both administrative and faculty input.  College goals will be discussed by the Dean’s Advisory Committee and Faculty Policy Council.  It was agreed that a half-day retreat be held for discussion of this part of the report. (Question #4)  After that departments and faculty groups should feel free to respond to the ideas developed at the retreat.

5. With regard to the question about consolidation and restructuring of some programs and the handling of possible budget cuts (#5), the same committee constituted to advise on budget cuts should be involved in responding to this question.

The section of the report on “Issues for Discussion Only” does not need to be included in the written report, but the Dean will ask for memos from the chairs on these topics before his mid-year conference with the Provost.

FPC Report

Stephen Smith, Chair of the Faculty Policy Council gave the following update on FPC activities:

1. All College committees are meeting or scheduling meetings, so the constitution is now in place and operating.

2. There will be an effort for all Faculty Policy Council agendas to be distributed before scheduled meeting to everyone in the College.

3. Now that the constitutional infrastructure is in place and operating, the Faculty Policy Council discussed future efforts to make sure that faculty are informed and have opportunities to become involved in College decision-making.  Smith reported that the Faculty Policy Council believes that faculty should deliberate and discuss College matters at the department level rather than through College-wide forums.  Efforts will now be focused on making sure that Faculty Policy Council representatives have time to report on Faculty Policy Council activities at their departmental faculty meetings.

Report of Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

Dean Webb discussed the following issues:

1. Classroom renovations:  OIR has provided funds that will allow us to renovate classrooms in Old Norman.  Renovation will include ceiling and wall repair, removal antiquated wiring, new rugs and window treatments, new lightning and switches, painting, level-three technology, and acoustical material on the ceiling.  We will not lower ceilings and will leave the woodwork undisturbed so that it may be restored at a later date.  Room 330 and the auditorium will not be renovated but 250 will be substantially improved.  COE summer classes will have to be taught elsewhere on campus.

2. OIR has supplied a budget to fund planning of an International Media Union (IMU) in the college.  Dean Nelms has appointed a planning team to identify the IMU’s features and functions, work with architects, and oversee fundraising for the effort.

3. The College has received complaints about smoking in the open areas within Norman Hall.  We have spoken with Environmental Health and Safety and they have suggested a no smoking policy for all Norman Hall space including open corridors, entranceways, breezeways, stairwells, and courtyards.  We plan to implement that policy, post no smoking signs in affected areas, and remove cement ashtrays.  We will provide ashtrays in areas several feet away from building entrances.

Report of the Interim Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research

In Dean Kranzler’s absence, Dean Webb reported:

1. Dean Kranzler held a meeting with MDTP on October 19, 2001, to discuss current status and future directions.

a. The meeting was fairly well attended.  Presenters suggested a new life for MDTP and a new level of collaboration with the College.

b.  Reaction to the meeting was mixed.  Some were positive, but several faculty expressed concern that about the level of collaboration that was possible with MDTP.

c. Dean Kranzler met with Dean Nelms to discuss next steps

and met with Dr. Luis Marti on November 2, 2001.

i. Kranzler shared collaboration concerns and stated that the College was interested in a 50-50 collaboration with the College of Medicine.

ii.  Dr Marti appeared sincerely interested in real collaboration and said he is open to discussing all aspects of our relationship with MDTP.  He will send a copy of the proposal and budget for this year to Dean Kranzler.

iii.  Kranzler will meet with deans and interested faculty to discuss the co-director’s position and then will meet again with Luis Marti to reach agreement on that issue.

iv. Following that, the next step in the process is to appoint a co-director.

2. We received four applications for the Dissertation Advisor/Mentor Award.

a. The committee has been appointed and the first meeting is scheduled for November 27, 2001.

b.The College can submit up to 3 nominations to the Graduate School Selection Committee for the award.

3.  Nelms distributed a handout on Policy for Grant Proposal Submission.  He asked Chairs to remind faculty to include space and technology needs in the proposals.  He also reminded Chairs that the College is unable to match any funds this year.

Report of Assistant Dean for Educational Outreach and Communications

Dean Vernetson announced that off-book courses can be used on campus for summer semester.  Faculty member’s compensation can be paid from collected student tuition plus a 10% charge for DOCE.  No FTE is generated for off-book courses.

Report of the Dean

Dean Nelms announced that sponsors are needed for Student Organizations, especially the Education College Council.  This has not been handled well since the departure of our last Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.  Professor Mary Kaye Dykes began to make extraordinarily good progress last year, but is no longer available for that service this year.

Also the Dean mentioned that several candidates have been interviewed for the College Development Officer position.  No one has been identified yet, but he still hopes to have someone in that position by early January.

The Dean reminded Chairs about the Textbook Adoptions program.  Courses not requiring textbooks must also be designated so that they are not included in the College’s average.  He will have the monthly report emailed to the Chairs.

The Dean announced that the Winter Holiday Party will be held on December 7, 2001, at the new Best Western Gateway in Gainesville.