While you are engaged in clinical activities in the Counselor Education program, you need liability insurance for your own liability protection. The P&I team will collect copies of your liability insurance policy when you register for Practicum, and you should update the policy whenever it expires. Though school counseling students cannot be required to purchase liability insurance, the counselor education faculty highly encourages all students to maintain liability insurance during all field experiences.

Mental Health or Marriage & Family Students

As a member of the American Counseling Association, your student membership may now make you eligible for professional liability insurance. If you are enrolled in a master’s degree counseling curriculum, coverage is available or performing counseling services (e.g. practicum and internship) related to such curriculum. Unfortunately, students enrolled in a bachelor degree program, doctoral degree program or other post master’s program are not covered through this program. You may obtain your “Evidence of Insurance,” by updating your membership student program level status by logging on to the members-only section of the ACA website at counseling.org. Enter your username and password. Once logged in, select “Manage Membership,” then “Student Information (change).” Update your student educational information; school name, graduation date and current program level (master’s, doctoral or other (unspecified). If you do not know your username and password, or if you wish to update your profile by phone, please contact ACA Member Services at 800-347-6647, ext. 222/703-823-9800, ext. 222 (M-F, 8 am – 7 pm, ET). Your “Evidence of Insurance” will be mailed to you once your current program level has been updated. View sample policy below.

If you are not eligible for ACA student professional liability insurance, they have recommend using Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO) as a provider of professional liability policies. You may obtain a policy at www.hpso.com or by calling (800)982-9491. You can request a copy of your policy online or via phone. Doctoral students with a license or certification must practice under a professional policy rather than a student one. An additional consultation rider may also be purchased to cover consulting, teaching and supervising. View a sample policy below.

School Counseling Students

As a member of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), professional liability is covered in your membership. You can apply online at www.schoolcounselor.org or by calling (800)306-4722. You can print a copy of your policy letter through your account online. View a sample policy letter below.