25 August, 2003 FPC Meeting Minutes

August 25, 2003

Room 158 Norman hall

Members Present: Jennifer Asmus, Dale Campbell, Maureen Conroy, Danling Fu,  Mirka Koro-Ljungber, Linda Lamme, Terry Scott, Nancy Waldron, Craig Wood, Elizabeth Yeager

Members Absent: Jim Archer

Others Present: None

Waldron called the meeting to order at 2:08 p.m.

Agenda and Minutes

  1. Approval of the agenda for August 25, 2003.

Conroy made a motion to approve the August 25 FPC meeting agenda as submitted by Waldron. Yeager seconded the motion. The FPC unanimously approved the revised agenda.

  1. Approval of the minutes of the May 5, 2003 meeting.

Campbell made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 5 meeting. Conroy seconded the motion, and the minutes were unanimously approved.

Action Items

  1. Election of FPC Secretary

Waldron reviewed the responsibilities of the FPC secretary and reported that Maureen Conroy has been nominated for this position. Waldron asked for nominations from the floor. Given that there were no new nominations, Waldron asked for a nomination from the floor. Woods made a motion to eliminate a secret ballot and Asmus seconded the motion. Yeager motioned to approve Conroy as secretary of the FPC. ? seconded the motion and the FPC unanimously approved. As FPC secretary, Conroy will serve as chair of the College Curriculum Committee.

Information Items

  1. Review of FPC structures and operating guidelines

Waldron reviewed the FPC structure and operating guidelines including the new committee structures and activities.

  1. Assignment of FPC members to committee

Waldron reviewed the assignment of FPC committee members to committees and the role of FPC members on these committees. Waldron requested a volunteer to serve on the Agenda Committee. Campbell volunteered to serve on the Agenda Committee. Wood moved to accept Campbell’s nomination and Conroy seconded. Asmus volunteered to serve on the Lectures, Seminars, and Awards Committee. Lamme volunteered to serve on the Long-Range Planning Committee. Wood volunteered to serve on the Research Advisory Committee. Scott volunteered to serve on the Technology Committee. Koro-Ljungber volunteered to serve on the Ad Hoc Committee on Doctoral Research Requirements. FPC members are responsible for calling the first meeting on the year for each committee that they represent. At the initial meeting, a chair should be elected.

  1. Discussion of Support Staff for FPC

Waldron reported that in the past the Dean’s office has provided support in the form of taking minutes to the FPC. This year,  the Dean’s office has indicated that support will be provided for the FPC webpage, but the FPC will no longer have support for taking minutes of the meeting. There was a lengthy discussion about the need for this support and FPC members requested that Waldron and Conroy discuss this issue with Dean Emihovich.

  1. Issues and activities for 2003-2004

Waldron reviewed a number of issues and activities to be addressed in the FPC for the 2003-2004 year. These included:

    • New committee structures and activities as outlined above.
    • Need for there to be collaboration between COE Faculty Senate Representatives and the FPC
    • The Ad hoc Committee on Doctoral Research Requirements
    • Need to conduct a review Associate Dean Kranzler & Assistant Dean Vernetson this year.
    • Need to conduct a review of Dean Emihovich this year.
    • Issue of considering participation of non-tenure accruing faculty in college governance.
  1. Minority Recruitment and Retention Plan

Waldron distributed the “Minority Recruitment and Retention Plan” developed by Dr. Michael Bowie. The FPC has been asked by Dr. Bowie to review this plan. Wood asked if University of Florida legal counsel had reviewed the plan. Waldron will ask Dr. Bowie about the status of legal review. FPC members are asked to review this document prior to the next meeting.


Asmus made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Yeager seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned at 3:21 p.m. (?).