8 September, 2003 FPC Meeting Minutes

September 8, 2003

Room 158 Norman hall

Members Present:     Jennifer Asmus, Dale Campbell, Maureen Conroy, Mirka Koro-Ljungberg, Linda Lamme, Terry Scott, Nancy Waldron, Craig Wood, Elizabeth Yeager

Members Absent: Jim Archer

Others Present: Dean Catherine Emihovich, Associate Dean Rod Webb

Waldron called the meeting to order at 2:11 p.m.

Agenda and Minutes

1. Approval of the agenda for September 8, 2003

Yeager made a motion to approve the September 8, 2003 meeting agenda as submitted by Waldron. Campbell seconded the motion. The FPC unanimously approved the agenda.

2. Approval of the minutes of the August 25, 2003 meeting

Campbell made a motion to approve the minutes of the August 25, 2003 meeting. Lamme seconded the motion, and the minutes were unanimously approved.

Committee Reports

1. College Curriculum Committee

Conroy reported that the College Curriculum Committee will meet on September 29, 2003 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.

2. Faculty and Budgetary Affairs Committee

No report

3. Lecture, Seminars, & Awards Committee

Asmus reported that they are in the process of scheduling the first meeting.

4. Long Range Planning Committee

Lamme reported that the first meeting will be held on 9/15/03 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. in Norman Hall 2005.

5. Research Advisory Committee

Wood reported that they are in the process of scheduling the first meeting.

6. Student Recruitment, Retention, & Petitions Committee

Yeager reported that the first meeting will be held on 9/24/03 at 3:00 p.m. in Norman 2411.

7. Technology Committee

Scott reported that they are in the process of scheduling the first meeting.

8. Ad Hoc Committee on Doctoral Research Requirements

Koro-Ljungberg reported that the first meeting will be held on 9/18/03 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. in Norman 158

Dean’s Report

1.         Report on 2002 – 2003 Academic Year

Dean Emihovich reported that the College received continuing accreditation from NCATE and the Florida Department of Education.

New faculty were hired and will be introduced at the fall faculty meeting including faculty from Baby Gator Child Development Center.

College development efforts have been very successful. The College was able to obtain approximately a million dollars in private funding. This money helps to provide financial support for extra activities that cannot be funded through state funds. Mary Driscoll will be contacting faculty to obtain ideas for requesting funds from private donors.

2. Report on Activities for the 2003 – 2004 Academic Year

Priorities for the 2003-2004 year will be assisting the University Center of Excellence planning grant, promoting early childhood initiatives, and supporting programs for national recognition.

The college will have a new computer internal infrastructure, which will result in a new server system. This system will work with both Macintosh and PC platforms. The reason for this change is to align the College with the technological changes in the University. The major change for faculty will be a change in the email system from Eudora to Outlook.

The College’s webpage will be redesigned in a more user-friendly format.

The Office of Evaluation Research and Inquiry (OERI) will be housed in Norman 137. Renovations are currently being completed. The Dean will be hiring a director for OERI in Spring 2004, which will be recruited from faculty within the College. A research coordinator will be hired during the Fall 2003. In addition, Dr. Nancy Dana was hired as the new associate director for the Center for School Improvement. Her position is to assist in coordinating work within the schools.

The College will continue to work on NCATE activities including the development of a unit-wide data assessment system.

The Dean reported that she is pursing the possibility of developing a program for using Foundation funds to provide stipends to support tenured, mid-career faculty to conduct research. The criteria for this award will be developed by FPC or a designated committee.

The Dean reported that the UF Presidential search committee will meet on 10/6/03 to decide on the finalists for the position. A new president may be announced as early as the end of the year.

Information Items

1. A Dean’s Retreat will be held on 9/26/03. The focus of the retreat will be to develop plans for the future vision of the College over the next 5 years. Members from the FPC will be invited as well as representatives from FPC committees. Information will be provided by the Dean’s office.

2. College of Education Fall Faculty Meeting is scheduled for 10/20/03 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. The FPC will not meet that day. A tentative agenda will include updates from the FPC, introduction of new faculty and staff. The Agenda Committee will meet to set the agenda.

3. Support staff for FPC will be discussed with the Department chairs.

New Business

1. Minority Recruitment and Retention Plan

Waldron presented the “Minority Recruitment and Retention Plan” developed by Drs. Michael Bowie and Theresa Vernetson.

Lamme made a motion to approve the plan. Campbell seconded the motion.

Discussion of the plan followed and included questions regarding the availability of funds to support activities, concerns over the definition and use of the word “minority” and language included in the plan, the difference between this plan and existing supports available in the College for all faculty, emphasis on the potential of success for recruitment of graduate students, and relationship between the plan, Florida State rules and regulations, and NCATE requirements.  Campbell suggested that “community colleges” be added to the section on recruitment of graduate students.

Following discussion, Lamme moved to table the motion. Scott seconded the motion.

Additional feedback regarding the student recruitment and retention provisions will be obtained from the Student Admissions, Recruitment, & Petitions Committee. Feedback will also be obtained regarding the faculty recruitment and retention provisions, either from an FPC committee or from faculty interested in working on the document.


Yeager made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Asmus seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned at 3:58 p.m.