Frequently Asked Questions

How many credits do I need to graduate?

  • A master’s degree requires a minimum of 36 semester hours.
  • A specialist degree requires a minimum of 72 semester hours beyond the bachelor’s degree or 36 semester hours beyond the master’s degree.
  • Doctoral programs require a minimum of 90 semester hours beyond the bachelor’s degree.

Can classes I took at another university count toward my degree?

Yes, though certain limitations apply depending upon what degree you are pursuing.

  • Master’s and specialist degree students may transfer up to 9 semester hours earned at an institution other than UF.
  • Doctoral students may transfer up to 30 semester hours of non-UF graduate credit.
  • All transfers of credit are subject to approval of the student’s supervisor committee and the Graduate School.

Can I work while completing a graduate degree program?

It depends on the program. Job-embedded, online programs like Teach Well and our new Online Ed.D. are geared towards working professionals. Advanced graduate programs (i.e., the Educational Specialist and Ph.D.) are designed for full-time study and are less compatible with working outside of university assistantships.

How long will it take to finish my degree?

The length of your program will depend upon how many credits you take per semester and the degree you are pursuing.

  • Part-time master’s and specialist students generally take approximately 2 years to complete a degree. This entails taking 2 courses in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
  • Doctoral students attending full-time should expect to take at least 3 years to complete a program of study.

Do I have to take the FTCE to graduate?

  • Proteach students must take the appropriate tests to complete their programs. While graduation without the tests is possible, students not submitting passing scores for appropriate tests will not be recommended for teacher certification.
  • Students in the Teach Well master’s/specialist, or doctoral programs do not need to take the FTCE to complete their program.

What kind of financial aid is available for graduate students?

Periodically, our department has grants that fund master’s and specialist students. Eligibility for funds depends upon the terms of the grant.

  • Doctoral students may be eligible for fellowships, grant funds, and/or teaching or research assistantships. Fellowships are awarded to entering doctoral students.
  • Fellowship awards require that students be admitted to the program, nominated by department faculty, and selected by the college-wide fellowship committee. Nominations are made in February for students entering the following fall.

What do I need to do to graduate this semester?

  • You must submit a degree application to Criser Hall by the published deadline date. Pay close attention to getting this form turned in as the deadline is early in the semester. The degree application is available at  You can also submit your degree application via ONE.UF.

What happens if I want to take a break from classes for a semester?

  • A break of one semester is not a problem. However, if you are not enrolled for 2 consecutive semesters, you will have to be readmitted to the program. Readmission involves submitting an application for readmission along with the $30 application fee to the Office of Admissions.

I was a graduate student at UF in the past. What do I need to do to take classes again?

  • You must submit an application for readmission along with the $30 application fee to the Office of Admissions.
  • Other requirements will vary depending upon what program you wish to enter. (See Application & Admission Information.)

Can I get a degree taking on-line courses?

  • Yes, you can get multiple degrees online. Our Teach Well master’s and specialist degrees can be done fully online.

How do I register for courses?

  • Prior to registration, you must be admitted to the university. You can be admitted as a degree-seeking student or with post-baccalaureate status. (Post-bac status does not lead to a degree.)
  • During registration periods, you can register yourself for most courses. On-line registration is available through ONE.UF.
  • To register for courses that are department controlled, call or come by the department.
  • You will not be automatically registered for any courses. You must initiate the registration process either by self-registering through ONE.UF or by contacting the department to register for department controlled courses.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us!