M.A.E. and Ph.D. Admission Requirements
The English Education M.A.E. and Ph.D. programs adhere to the University of Florida’s Graduate School’s minimum requirements for admission. Both programs require a 3.0 GPA in upper-division undergraduate work. The Ph.D. program requires GRE scores that are acceptable to the program. Prospective Ph.D. students should take the verbal, quantitative and writing sections of the GRE. Whereas the English Education faculty look for strong GRE scores, we look holistically at an applicant’s admissions materials.
English Education faculty also consider the written statement of purpose, the academic potential evident in three letters of recommendations, a student’s academic background (i.e., a B.A. or M.A. in English or a substantial background in literature, writing and communication), and a resume. Admission decisions are based on multiple sources of numerical and qualitative data and are framed by the goals of the program. In rare cases, faculty may offer a conditional admit to students who do not meet all of the above criteria.
General admissions questions should be directed to Michelle Mark at email@example.com.
Please visit the School of Teaching and Learning’s How Do I Apply? page for deadlines and information about applying to our M.A.E. and Ph.D. English Education programs.
General application information from the Graduate School can be found here.
Certificate Program Application Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (official transcripts required) with a focus in a recognized English discipline
- Upper division undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher (last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination’s General Knowledge Exam (note: can be waived with acceptable scores on the Graduate Records Examination(GRE)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exam in English, 6-12
- A statement of purpose essay explaining why this certificate program is a good fit for you and your intentions for continuing on and using this certificate as the first half of an online MAE in English Education
- Submission of FLDOE’s Statement of Status of Eligibility
Certificate Program Application Information
- We admit students in summer term only and student teaching is only available in the fall term.
- Click here to apply
Financial Aid Opportunities
Click here or on the icon to check for available scholarships.
Please contact the U.S. Department of Education and Florida Department of Education to learn more about loan forgiveness programs. You may also want to check out the TEACH Grant program.
Tuition and Other Costs
If you would like to know tuition rates and other costs for the current school year, please visit the UF Student Financial Affairs Cost of Attendance page and the UF Finance and Accounting Student Fee Calculation Estimate page. (Note: these rates are subject to change, so check back regularly.)