English Education Certificate Program
If you are interested in teaching English at the secondary level (6-12 grades) and want strong coursework and a rigorous supervised field experience in your content area, this program is for you! We offer an online program that leads to Florida Teacher Professional Certification at the post-baccalaureate level. This certificate program is an approved Florida Department of Education Educator Preparation Institute (EPI). Our program is:
- Completed in 2 semesters
- Strong subject-area preparation with 1 semester of supervised student teaching.
- Online coursework with video-based supervision (or local supervision if you reside in Gainesville)
This 18-credit certification program is fully approved by the Florida Department of Education and leads to eligibility for Professional Educator certification in Florida. Students from out of state are welcome to apply. Be sure you understand the implications for your own state’s teaching certification requirements.
English Education students will take the following courses in order to add a Reading Endorsement to the certificate:
- RED 6xxx – Diagnosing and Remediating
- RED 6xxx – Diagnosing and Remediating Reading Difficulties (instead of ESE 5426)
- RED 6xxx – English Education Practicum
- ESE 6345 Effective Teaching and Classroom Management in the Secondary Classroom
- EDG 6931 Data Driven Instructional Practices
- EDG 5666 Knowing and Learning in Secondary Education
- TSL 5335 ESOL and Reading for Secondary Teachers
- LAE 6339 Methods Course in English
- ESE 6945 Student Teaching in the Secondary School
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (official transcripts required)
- Upper division undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher (last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination’s General Knowledge Exam (note: can be waived with acceptable scores on the Graduate Records Examination (GRE)
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exam in English
- Statement of purpose essay explaining why this certificate program is a good fit for you
- Submission of FLDOE’s Statement of Status of Eligibility
Application Terms and Deadlines
Application deadlines may be found here.
Questions About the Program
If you have further questions regarding the Certificate Program in Secondary Teaching Preparation, contact Dr. Angela Kohnen (email@example.com).