From Admission to Completion: Successfully Navigating the Master of Arts in Education (MAE) Degree School of Teaching & Learning (STL), College of Education
A. Upon Admission to Your Graduate Program
1. Obtain your Gatorlink account through UF’s Computing Help Desk
2. Send your Gatorlink username (which is your UFL email address) to: Ms. Kay Curcio (email@example.com) and Mrs. Lindsey Slatton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. Familiarize yourself with your student profile within ONE.UF. Provide the University with your emergency contact information. Do this by using my.ufl.edu account. Use your Gatorlink name and password to enter the system. You must do this every semester prior to registration time; you can’t register for classes without doing so.
4. Schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor. Contact information for your advisor is found in your admissions letter that you received.
5. Attend the STL Orientation for new masters students early in your first semester.
6. Check your UFL email account regularly to get important updates from the UF Graduate School, the College of Education, and STL.
B. During your First Semester
1. Schedule an appointment with your advisor to set your program of study. Download the Master of Arts in Education program of study form.When you and your advisor have completed and signed your program of study, submit it to the STL Graduate Studies Office in Norman 2403.
C. Each Semester in Your Program
1. Schedule an appointment with your advisor to make sure you are on track with your program of study. Determine your appropriate courses for the upcoming semester(s).
2. Update your emergency contact information at http://my.ufl.edu so you can be cleared for registration.
D. For Students Taking the Thesis Option
1. Establish your thesis committee including your advisor and at least one other graduate faculty member.
2. At least one semester prior to graduation, visit the ETD lab so you will understand how to format and write your master’s thesis. Information on the ETD lab can be found at http://helpdesk.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ETD-Guide.pdf
E. The Semester You Graduate
1. Apply to graduate through Student Self Service (https://student.ufl.edu/). Typically, this must be done during the first month of the semester.
2. Make sure you are registered for a minimum of 3 credit hours the semester you are graduating (2 credits if in the summer).
3. If you are taking the master’s thesis option, make sure you meet the UF Graduate School deadline for the submission of your thesis. Information on deadlines and the Thesis Checklist can be found at http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/graduate-life/graduation/graduation-checklist/
4. Schedule your master’s thesis defense with your advisor and committee.
5. If completing the master’s project instead of a thesis, talk to your advisor about how to present it.
1. Follow all instructions from the UF Graduate School and COE Student Services regarding graduation instructions. These are sent to your UFL email account.
2. The UF Bookstore is where you order, pick up, and return graduation regalia.
3. Graduate, Celebrate, and Succeed!
Steps to Complete After Admission (Printable Version)
Fingerprint and Background check requirements
Applying for a Secondary Internship
Steps for Florida Teacher Certification
Program of Study Form (MAE)
To make a change to your program, complete the Change of Program form in consultation with your faculty advisor.